With Harlot Falsehoods

  • Arjun Janah
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2013
      With Harlot Falsehoods

      When we've walked the road of verity
      Throughout our lives – with all our human faults,
      Abstaining from the vices of the lie –
      The path of falsehood then cannot be borne.

      And when we've been obedient to the call
      Of conscience, ever heeding heart's advice,
      To disobey is as a living death,
      A torture, hell ascended to this earth.

      And yet, observe, how in survival's name,
      Or merely for ambition, some, with ease,
      Can lie throughout their lives and can benumb
      Their consciences and hearts for worldly ends.

      And slaves, be they in chains of iron or
      Of silver, must obey the master's lip.
      And those, who quickest shed their scruples, thrive
      And do not shy from wielding lie and whip.

      So should we martyr minds and bodies for
      The quiet voices that we hear within,
      Or should we yield to fear or seek to rise
      By doing what we see the others do?

      The question comes and must be answered, yet
      We seek, from this dilemma, some escape.
      We all have duties to our selves and kin.
      Should mere survival then be viewed as sin?

      And yet, those voices, that we've listened to,
      Will not be stilled. They fill our nights and days.
      To path of justice, heart and conscience call.
      And every step away dismays the soul.

      And we, who've wedded selves to truth, cannot,
      With harlot falsehoods, lie a moment long.
      And yet, the webs of lies entrap our souls,
      And we are found, where we do not belong.

      How many ways have humans engineered,
      To make, of others, slaves!
      So all, that minds
      Have wrought, in innocent ingenuity,
      To free us, is then swiftly turned to this.

      So farming gave us brigand kings and turned
      The freemen into serfs.  And now we see
      Computers, mathematics bred to serve
      As watchdogs on the herds that daily teach.

      It will not be.  We shall not be a part
      Of evil, though our backs are loaded, bent.
      We'll bear our burdens, labor as we've done,
      But will not harm our wards or blur our truths.
      Our lives have taught us that humility
      That those of hubris rarely see till end.
      And yet, whatever remnant self-respect
      Remains, demands we do not dance to lies.

      For how can we fulfill our duties core,
      When heart and reason clearly say, "Do this."
      And fear and slavery proclaim, "Do not."?
      We choose the freeman's path of clarity.

      Whatever punishment that brings, we'll bear,
      With inmost beings calm, in dignity.
      We'll do our work and walk the path of love,
      And that will be, for us, reward enough.

      stanzas prior to the break written
      2013 September 4th, Wed. night
      (after being briefed for two days
      on the new teacher-evaluation