NPIE, Sept 18, 2013

  • mchgh_lln
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2013
      At NCPIE, our mission is to advocate the involvement of parents and families in their children's education, and to foster relationships between home, school, and community to enhance the education of all our nation's young people.

      National Coalition for Parent Involvement in Education (NCPIE)

      NCPIE's mission is to advocate the involvement of parents and families in their children's education, and to foster relationships between home, school, and community to enhance the education of all our nation's young people.

      National Coalition for Parent Involvement in Education (NCPIE) ● September 5, 2013

      NCPIE Meeting September 18th: Legislative Update and Focus Group

      Dear Colleagues:

      Congress will be back in session this fall and taking some action on reauthorizing ESEA. The question is what action, and whether a bill can make it through both houses of Congress, especially when yet another fiscal cliff is looming. Mollie VanLieu of National PTA will give us her assessment of what might happen over the next few months.

      On July 11, 2013 the Family Engagement in Education Act of 2013 (S. 1291/H.R. 2662) was introduced by U.S. Senators Jack Reed (D-RI), Christopher Coons (D-DE), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), and Representatives Glenn Thompson (R-PA) and Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY). This bill seeks to target capacity-building and technical assistance for effective family engagement strategies where it's needed most, while encouraging state and school district flexibility to identify programming that works best for local communities.  The proposed language is intended to inform reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA).

      In addition, planning has begun to create a new national association for Family and Community Engagement in Education, thanks to a grant from the Heising-Simons Foundation. The second half of the meeting will be devoted to hearing from YOU about how such an association could help you in your work and what could convince others of the importance of engaging families.

      The purpose of the Partnership for Family, School and Community Engagement is to:

      • Promote effective practices of family and community engagement in education
      • Build capacity across the field of education by offering opportunities for professional development.
      • Inform the development of policy that is guided by evidence-based strategies for family-school-community engagement, with a focus on low-income communities and on early childhood and primary school programs.
      • Develop leaders in the fields at all levels, and giving voice to members of marginalized communities

      The call-in number for those who cannot attend in person is 1-866-846-3997. The code to connect to the call is 7888942#.

      The meeting will be held in Chanin Auditorium, side B, of the NEA building at 1201 16th Street, NW. We will start with networking at 9:00 AM, and the meeting will go from 9:30 - 11:30 AM. I hope you can join us for this important event, either in person or by phone hookup. We need your ideas, insights and suggestions!

      Anne
      Anne T Henderson, Interim Chair
      National Coalition for Parent Involvement in Education

      Please add parentnewslist@... to your email address book and to your list of "Trusted Senders", to make sure that you receive our messages. Thank you.

      NCPIE

      Copyright © 2013 NCPIE. All rights reserved.