calantjis@aol.com has shared: The renewed war on the veteran teacher

  • jcalant
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2013
      calantjis@... has shared: The renewed war on the veteran teacher

      Teacher_and_student
      The renewed war on the veteran teacher

      Last Wednesday, my son, like so many youngsters around the country, began his second year of instruction at a local middle school tucked away in suburban southern California. Though the name and the exact location have changed, it is essentially the same middle school that both my wife and I attended roughly a quarter-century ago. By and large, the names and faces of the faculty have changed since the (ahem) late 1980s. But, there has been one constant, and my wife and I could not have been happier to see that my son's 7th grade social studies teacher was, indeed, the same woman who had taught both of us all those years ago. Indeed, she has been doing so for over a half century now. Yes ... you read the preceding sentence correctly. When she hit the 50-year mark last year, there was a torrent of praise in the community. Deservedly so. After all, how many lives in this town of 30,000...

      If you would like to not receive emails from Daily Kos, please click here.