My Thoughts on an Organizing Strategy for 2013-2014

  • Josh Karan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2013
    I welcome the engagement of those who have participated in the strategizing discussion about how we proceed in the next few critical months, which I view as essential to making any progress in setting a new direction for education in our city.

    To me the discussion is about how a movement for a different kind of education system and society can be birthed. About that there are differences of opinion amongst us colleagues and allies, that need to be frankly and respectfully debated as we attempt to model the society we wish to create. My perspective is shaped by experiences over 45 years of being an organizer.. That experience does not necessarily make me correct, but I hope will prompt reflection on what is needed to create change.

    I attempted to offer proposals for how this movement might progress. They centered on our promulgating a list of "peoples' candidates" for PEP positions in order to try try to influence whomever wins the Mayoral election, and trying to get this new PEP to rescind decisions of Bloomberg's PEP.

    Unfortunately these proposals were not addressed in many of the comments, and attention became focused on my assertions of our movement's weakness citywide and in District 6. My remarks were meant not as a moral judgement, but as a political assessment. That only a few of the many subscribers to this list serve entered into this discussion about how we proceed at a critical juncture of the change of administration illustrates this reality to me. I hope more will join in suggesting what should be our focus of strategy and tactics to influence the Mayoral candidates as to their education platform, their choice of PEP members, and whether these new members will rescind positions of Bloomberg's PEP. This needs to be a collective enterprise, as none of us have all the answers.

    I will elaborate my positions in the attachment below for those who wish to continue to engage, in order that the exchanges with all their reprints do not become unmanageable for readers, especially for those using mobile media. I invite responses from everyone reading this because I have high regard for the knowledge and commitment of all those who are associated with this list serve.

    If you reply to me directly, I will forward all responses to anyone and everyone who indicates to me that they wish to participate.

    Whatever the outcome, know that I will be supportive of any mobilization that can be created.
  • Rachel Paster
    Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2013
      Josh, I agree this is something worthy of discussion.  I also agree with Tory that we need a different (more private) discusssion form.  Would either of you be able to start a yahoo or google group on this particular subject? nyceducationnews, while an amazing resources for all of us,  is an open group and all postings can be read by the public -- perhaps not the best place to strategize.

      On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Josh Karan <joshkaran2@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Josh Karan included below]

[...]

      Josh Karan
      joshkaran2@...