Re: [nyceducationnews] Re: Fwd: Public Notice: Proposals for Significant Changes In School

  • Laura@...
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2013
      All,

      I am not sure of the number of people yet, but we have a pretty strong force in Staten Island - CEC 31 and a solid UFT.  We plan on being present at the October meeting in force.

      Totally agree that strategizing and names should happen now, but let's not rule out an October presence at the meeting PRIOR to elections...lots of votes to be had regarding the importance of education.

      Laura E. Timoney
      (O) 718.987.6411
      (C) 917.667.2711
      Laura@...

      Josh Karan <joshkaran2@...>
      Sent by: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

      09/01/2013 03:54 PM

      Please respond to
      nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

      Diane Ravitch <gardendr@...>
      cc
      "nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com" <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject
      Re: [nyceducationnews] Re: Fwd: Public Notice: Proposals for Significant Changes In School

      I am glad that we are starting to strategize around this.
      An appropriate use of our time on (almost) Labor Day.

      My opinion --

      The parents' movement in this city is very, very, weak.  In District 6 it is almost non-existent. The UFT is both weak and compromised.

      I do not believe that there is enough time to organize effectively for the October meeting, which will be a meaningless affair, as many people already know, keeping them away.

      We should spend the next month proposing names for a new PEP (Diane: are you willing; Announce it here first!), and then get as many people as we can to demonstrate outside the meeting  at which we reveal a list of other acceptable PEP candidates, while boycotting the contemptible Bloomberg PEP meeting itself.

      Let's use this list serve to have readers begin to suggest who these new PEP members might be, and then contact them in in a unified manner to ask them to be our representatives, so that we can offer concrete proposals, not empty suggestions.
      (My beginning list in addition to Diane  & Patrick Sullivan --- Luis Reyes, Esmeralda Simmons.
      Everyone add two more).

      Concentrate our efforts on influencing the composition of the new PEP, and plan a major attendance at the January meeting with the call for this body to offer real Hope and Change from the new regime (if that Obama slogan has not already become too cynical as the Nobel Peace Prize winning President prepares to bomb yet another country).

      We should concentrate our efforts on forming an effective, sustainable organization. This will not occur within a month. The effort must be much larger and broader than that of co-locations and testing.  Michael Rebell is talking about returning to court to enforce the CFE decision. Our schools are being starved as well as mismanaged.

      This summer I read 1000 pages of Diane Ravitch ---
      Left Back; The Troubled Crusade; Death & Life. Together they describe the past 100 years of American educational "reform" movements.

      All should read these to understand the context of contemporary events.  What they show is that these are just the latest, though more exacerbated, illustrations of the lack of commitment of this society to provide educational excellence for all, especially working class and poor students. It has always been a triage system of sorting, but now there is no need at all for the labor of many NYC students, whose future will only be viable if they can obtain the ability to participate in shaping the public policy directions of this city, state, and nation. The notion that more than just a few will be prepared for careers in private sector  "information age" positions,  or entrepreneurship, or the traditional trades, is just fantasy.  Only a commitment to a different set of public policies -- economic and educational - offers any promise.

      That is our challenge, to provide this understanding and organization, a NYC version of what has been occurring in Chicago.

      And we cannot remain meek.

      Too much is at stake.

      Josh

      Josh Karan
      joshkaran2@...
      917-923-2584

      On Sep 1, 2013, at 2:32 PM, Diane Ravitch wrote:

      Why skip October meeting? Send a message to new mayor.

      Diane Ravitch

      On Sep 1, 2013, at 2:20 PM, Erica Perez <
      jjlina09@...> wrote:

      I totally agree. Only if these parent bases are united, will we make the right impact. Our statement must be bold.

      Erica Perez

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2013
        Josh, with all due respect, between the last two springs, the D6 parent advocacy movement fought off a Education Reform Now-financed effort to de-zone our district that was supported and encouraged by the DOE.  This group achieved this MAJOR victory by assembling a sophisticated, multi-media strategy and putting enough boots on the ground to out-petition the astroturf organization that was funding paid canvassers.  Dezoning is a central strategy in the edu reform playbook and WE beat it back.  In so doing we organized a large number of parents, brokered strong connections with several pre-existing parent groups (Mirabal, etc.), maintained connections with the larger UFT-affiliated ones, etc. and are actually pretty well-positioned to work with others and make a strong showing at the 10/15 PEP.
        I'll also suggest that we who wish to organize this 10/15 PEP RALLY start a new private group as the opposition is also on this list.
        -Tory

        Sent from my handheld; please excuse any errors.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2013

            Sounds like a plan.

            Count me in.

            John

            From: Deborah Alexander <debalex5@...>

            Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 14:52:58 -0400

            To: nyceducationnews<nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>

            Speaking broadly:  as we all know, it's difficult for many parents to attend meetings and functions.  Ideally, everyone could show up in full force to all or most things, but that's not the reality.  I wholeheartedly agree that a citywide, unified statement to the PEP and new mayor is needed, but if "full force" and "en masse" is expected, I'd pick one major event to rally around.

            Deb Alexander

            District 30 parent

[...]

            Reply to sender

            Reply to group

            Start a New Topic

            Messages in this topic (5)

            .

          • thulani24
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2013
              As both a parent (of a child who just graduated from NYC public schools) and a NYC teacher in District 6, I take issue with the contention that local parents are weak and that the union is "compromised." The union has been strapped by the refusal of the Bloomberg administration to do any fair negotiating over the past x number of years... this will change with the new administration. Parents in my school are very hands-on, and I know it's not the only school in District 6 where they're active.

              M. Alperson