  • Synika redden
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 30, 2013

      I have been following this group for awhile first time I'm posting
      I must say so far from my dealing. with the Doe it seems like a lot of the same.some of the advocate have there own motives...I have visited and seen how the same people have held on to positions and still no change. Yes the mayor and city council election are important but what about the people who are suppose to take parents complaints and concerns and make them be heard...I have witnessed a principals sweeping things under the rug and there friends from the district made it disappear parent advocates that cant are wont assist a parent with simple request like obtaining school records not caring how the complaint might effect the children or the schools productivity..This to me is as big of issue as overcrowding and dezoning.If the common goal of parents principals etc is the success of our children I feel that this is something that needs to be addressed as well.Withholding information or not reporting things is not helping at all bullying at all time high failing test scores ..Its easy to pass the Buck and blame politics but we all have a role to play to help our children back on track.Thank you
      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

    • Synika redden
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 14, 2013

        What do you think about the common core standards? Are the parents being informed by the schools? Do you support not sending your child to school on the 18?

[...]

      • John T. Englert
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 15, 2013

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 22, 2014
            Hello John,

            I am sorry I am late in sharing this conversation with you,

            Debie Zito and I spoke about the CCSE mtg  getting no respect and how no one from the CEC came,  some members said they knew but couldnt make it, then the CEC was on the defensive, stating that you  'John'  should come to their meetings, then Debie and I said we will act as parent reps. that went to the CCSE to report to the CEC, Debie later spoke with Mike Reilly afterschool that next day and smooth out the tones to that we all need to work together.

            John the next CEC31 meeting Mon. Feb. 2/3, Petrides,  6:30  business, 7:30 cal. will  have SpEd DOE reps.

            I know you are not the CCSE president anymore but could you come and speak about the concern D31 and D75 have,

            Thanks, Laura Cavalleri

            To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
            From: jtenglert@...
            Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 06:39:32 -0500
            Subject: RE: [nyceducationnews] Re:

[...]

          • Laura Cavalleri
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 22, 2014
              sorry this was to john and personal,

              sorry all its not a problem just a miss understanding and my miss emailing, I nervous about many things these days,
              laura

              From: jtenglert@...
              Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 06:39:32 -0500

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 22, 2014
                The meeting below was a direct result of hearing concerns at the last CEC 31 meeting.  We are all in this together and all volunteers.  As co-chair of the Special Education committee for CEC 31, we try our best to attend all related meetings and address all issues brought to the meeting.  Everyone is invited to attend the Special Education meeting on Feb 3rd, hope to see you all there.

                Laura Timoney, CEC 31
                CEC31Laura@...
                ___________________________

                Dear Parents & Parent Leaders:

                CEC 31 will be holding a Special Ed. Meeting on Monday February 3rd at 7 PM at Petrides with the Deputy Chancellor for Special Education Corinne Rello-Anselmi. This meeting is open to the public and we hope you can attend. In addition to the Deputy Chancellor, District Superintendent Jessica Jenkins will be there. Our regular CEC 31 meeting has been moved to Monday, February 10th.

                The meeting on February 3rd will address special education issues and concerns. Past experience has shown that these meetings are very well attended. Many parents come with hopes of speaking directly to the Deputy Chancellor in an effort to get help for their child. There is never enough time for all the parents to speak directly to the Deputy Chancellor, so parents are sometimes asked to write their information onto small index cards, which are collected and followed-up at a later time. This leaves parents feeling frustrated.

                This time we would like to try something different. We have created a special private email address that is only accessible by me. This account is separate from all other email accounts. The email address is SpecialEducationCEC31@.... Any parent who needs help can send an email with 1) their contact information, 2) child’s name, 3) school and grade, 5) a description of the issue or concern (this could include special ed. services not being delivered OR services they feel are not truly addressing their child's needs). Rest assured that the information you send will be kept strictly confidential.

                We will forward all emails directly to Deputy Chancellor Rello-Anselmi and Superintendent Jenkins for review prior to our February 3rd special ed. meeting. If you do NOT want to address your concerns publicly at the meeting, please indicate this in your email.

                It is our hope that sending your questions beforehand will help bring answers to the meeting and relieve the stress of struggling to get your concerns heard. Parents who send an email will still have the opportunity to speak at the meeting and will not lose the chance to address the Superintendent and Deputy Chancellor in person. Parents who cannot attend the meeting can use the email to have their concerns addressed.

                We promise to get your messages to the Deputy Chancellor and the Superintendent. We hope this new idea will help your children get the special ed. services they truly need.

                Sam Pirozzolo, President
                Community Education Council 31 (CEC 31)
                715 Ocean Terrace
                Staten Island, New York 10301
                Phone: 718-420-5746
                Fax: 718-420-5745
                Website:
                www.CEC31.org<http://www.CEC31.org/>

                Laura Cavalleri <we4cavalleris@...>
                Sent by: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

                01/22/2014 12:50 PM

                Please respond to
                nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

                nyceducationnews <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
                cc
                Subject
                [nyceducationnews] CEC31 mtg

                To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                From: jtenglert@...
                Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 06:39:32 -0500

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 22, 2014

                  Just to be clear is this email for all parents w/ special ed concerns to share their issues, or only those who live on SI?

                  Thanks,

                  Subscribe to Class Size Matters newsletter at  http://shar.es/wNbXk

                  Subscribe to NYC education list by emailing nyceducationnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  From: jtenglert@...
                  Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 06:39:32 -0500

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 22, 2014

                    I am sorry about my first email to John personally, (I had two of his email addresses and slipped when I sent send)  it was to explain how we all are working together, Thanks to CEC31 for giving Staten Island sped parents a email to send our concerns to address at their Feb mtg.  Hoping all Staten Island SpEd parents get the message to email their concerns, Way to go CEC31. Thanks, Laura Cavalleri

                    To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                    CC: we4cavalleris@...; cecmike@...; cec31laura@...

                    From: jtenglert@...
                    Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 06:39:32 -0500

                  • Laura@...
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 22, 2014
                      Leonie,

                      It was intended (without speaking for Sam) to address any special education challenges parents are having on Staten Island as a result of concerns raised at the CEC meeting as well as stories we are hearing from parents.
                      All are welcome to attend, but no one ever comes to Staten Island. :)

                      Laura E. Timoney
                      Executive Search Consultant
                      (O) 718.987.6411
                      (C) 917.667.2711