Rhee-formers in Boston

  • Ellen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2013
      I thought that Mass. was the state we were all supposed to emulate. Isn't this the leading education State? And maybe, just maybe, politicos have realized their base is no longer enamored of charter schools?
      Maybe Mass. is going to lead on this as well.

      THANKS, BUT NO THANKS - Boston mayoral candidate John Connolly has asked two education reform groups to stop campaigning for him. But it's unclear how seriously they'll take his cease-and-desist order. The Oregon-based nonprofit Stand for Children had been poised to spend $500,000 or more to promote Connolly, a city councillor who has taken on the teachers union and called for longer school days. The group tells POLITICO that it will respect Connolly's wishes and won't advertise on his behalf - but will still be engaged in the race with issue advocacy around its priorities, many of which align quite nicely with Connolly's positions. Connolly also asked D.C.-based Democrats for Education Reform to stop canvassing for him. Will they? It's not clear; DFER told POLITICO it took its canvassers off the street on Wednesday - but beyond that, stuck with "no comment."

      So, why is Connolly turning away their help? He was being pummeled by rivals in the race who decried the influx of out-of-state, special-interest dollars. In a note to voters on his website, Connolly said he was "deeply worried" that wealthy outside groups would "warp the debate" and "open the door for negative campaigning." He added: "I don't need an advertising blitz to speak on my behalf. I'll let my record speak for itself." His first TV ad touts his work uncovering a mini-scandal in Boston Public Schools: Expired food in the cafeterias. See the ad here: http://bit.ly/14YbfIb