Fwd: [News from Susan Ohanian] New Content at SusanOhanian.Org!

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 20, 2013

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Susan Ohanian <susano@...>
      Date: Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:25 PM
      Subject: [News from Susan Ohanian] New Content at SusanOhanian.Org!
      To: announce@..., ecrump@...

      I'm getting back my air--picked a quart of wild red raspberries and a cup of black ones, which are just coming in. Picked 'em AND made it back up the hill . . . slowly.

      I think I have enough air to do it, so I'm making a few remarks at the Vermont State Board of Education meeting tomorrow, a follow up on having sent all of them the 28 Questions About the Common Core. By the way, those questions hit 825 'shares' on Facebook. I'd been hoping for 1,000 but thank all of you who made a real effort.

       I wonder what it would take to get 1000,000 teachers to start asking questions. That would be only a tiny percentage of the teacher population.

      What's wrong here?

      But I'm not going to talk about the Questions tomorrow. I'm going to talk about my dad and show them my legacy from him, an 18" x 4" board with the stenciled numbers 58-1395.400-500, which sits on my desk.
      http://www.susanohanian.org/show_commentary.php?id=340

      Cartoons

      All You Need to Know
      http://www.susanohanian.org/cartoon_fetch.php?id=814

      I love this cartoon

      Funny that this next one ran at the NYT the same day as the horrible piece featured in Liar! Liar!  See below. Danziger is a former VT h.s. English teacher.

      This Year's Gimmick
      http://susanohanian.org/cartoon_fetch.php?id=815

      Stop the Math Blather and Look at the Facts
      http://susanohanian.org/show_nclb_cartoons.php?id=945

      Worst Nightmare
      http://susanohanian.org/show_nclb_cartoons.php?id=944

      Susan

      \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
      Tennessee Law Enforcement Leaders Urge Support For Common Core State Standards
      Press Release
      Fight Crime Invest in Kids
      2013-08-17
      http://susanohanian.org/core.php?id=559

      Apparently, in Tennessee, Common Core will produce smarter cops.

      \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
      Liar! Liar! Pants on Fire! War on the New York Times Embrace of the Common Core
      Susan Ohanian
      blog
      2013-08-19
      http://susanohanian.org/core.php?id=558

      Liar! Liar! Pants on Fire! When they have to resurrect William Bennett in defense of Common Core, you know they're in trouble.

      \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
      Who's Protecting Eight-Year-Olds' Right to Be Secure in Their Persons, Papers, and Effects?  ?
      Susan Ohanian
      blog
      2013-08-16
      http://susanohanian.org/data.php?id=511

      Who's going to insure eight-year-olds' protection under the Fourth Amendment?

      \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
      Fatuous, Overused  Buzzwords In Need of Elimination Because Nobody Has a Clue What They Mean and/or Uses Them For Purposes of Deceit, Dissimulation, Dirty-Dealing, and Overreaching
      Susan Ohanian
      Commenting on the prose of those 40  NY business leaders who like the Common Core
      2013-08-08
      http://susanohanian.org/core.php?id=548

      Here is letter of 40 NY business leaders praising the Common Core. If anyone can find an original thought, one that is not boilerplate lifted from the National Governors Association or CCSSO press releases, please let me know.

      \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
      Bloom's Taxonomy
      Nicholas Meier

      2013-08-19
      http://susanohanian.org/show_commentary.php?id=1121

      The problem with bloom's taxonomy is that thinking is presented as a hierarchy. You're better off reading Frank Smith than Bloom.

      \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
      To Peter Cunningham
      Kent Brockman
      Huffington Post
      2013-08-17
      http://susanohanian.org/show_letter.php?id=1595

      Strong rebuttal to  a whiny attack on Diane Ravitch by Duncan's former chief messager.

      \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
      Teachers Face License Loss Tennessee to Join Three Other States in Yanking Privileges Based on Student Scores
      Stephanie Banchero
      Wall Street Journal
      2013-08-17
      http://susanohanian.org/outrage_fetch.php?id=1681

      Tennessee is finding one more way to destroy teachers.

      \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
      State Investigating Possible CMT Cheating At Hartford School
      Vanessa de la Torre
      Hartford Courant
      2013-08-16
      http://susanohanian.org/outrage_fetch.php?id=1680

      There is one ray of sunshine in this sorry tale.

      \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
      A City Borrows So Its Schools Open on Time
      Rick Lyman and Mary Williams Walsh
      New York Times
      2013-08-16
      http://susanohanian.org/outrage_fetch.php?id=1679

      For a close, penetrating look at how ed deformers try to frame Philadelphia, read Bruce Baker's explanation along with this NY Times story.
      Order the CD of the resistance:
      "No Child Left Behind? Bring Back the Joy."
      To order online (and hear samples from the songs)
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/dhbdrake4
      Other orders: Send $15 to
      Susan Ohanian
      P. O. Box 26
      Charlotte, VT 05445
      To leave Susan Ohanian's Announcement List, visit
      http://susanohanian.org/lists/announce/subscribe.html
      Archives:
      http://susanohanian.org/lists/announce/archives.html
      Support this website!
      Start your Amazon.com shopping at
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html/102-6736567-7856906
      Report list problems to listmom@...

      --
      Have a good day

      Norm Scott
      normsco@...
      917-992-3734

      On Twitter:  @normscott1

      Education Notes Online
      ednotesonline.blogspot.com/

      GEM, Grassroots Education Movement
      gemnyc.org

      The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman - Now Online
      http://gemnyc.org/our-film/

      Education Editor, The Wave
      http://www.rockawave.com/

      Norms's Robotics blog
      http://normsrobotics.blogspot.com/
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 8, 2014
        Some weekend reading from susan Ohanian.