Anti-Testing Movement Grows in NY Suburbs and Towns

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2013
      WordPress.com

      1500 angry NY parents & educators rally vs #commoncore exams on Long Island; this is before parents have even received the test scores of their kids.  interesting to see what the political impact will be.

      http://www.newsday.com/long-island/1-500-rally-against-common-core-tests-at-comsewogue-high-school-1.5910413

       Meanwhile BIll Keller of NYT writes an encomium to Common Core

      http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/19/opinion/keller-war-on-the-core.html

      Susan Ohanian responds.  http://susanohanian.org/core.php?id=558

      dianerav posted: "The collapse of test scores in New York following the first tests of the Common Core standards is fueling the growth of the anti-testing movement. A huge protest took place in Port Jefferson Station on Long Island on Saturday. Fifteen hundred people tu"

      New post on Diane Ravitch's blog

      Anti-Testing Movement Grows in NY Suburbs and Towns

      by dianerav

      The collapse of test scores in New York following the first
      tests of the Common Core standards is fueling the growth of the
      anti-testing movement. A huge protest took
      place in Port Jefferson Station on Long Island on Saturday.

      Fifteen hundred people turned out to denounce the Common
      Core and the tests that labeled most children as "failures." To get a turnout of this size on a Saturday in August in a small town signals big trouble for Common Core and its cheerleaders in the State Education Department.

      Hero educator Dr. Joseph Rella was one of the speakers.

      Newsday, the most widely read newspaper on populous and politically
      powerful Long Island, published a vivid photograph of the rally
      (open the link) and wrote as follows: "Protesters carried signs and
      cheered as they waited to hear from Comsewogue Superintendent
      Joseph Rella, a vocal curriculum critic.

      "All of us have been passengers on a plane being built in midair," Rella said to the
      crowd. "Today, we are canceling our flight reservations." "He urged
      the group to use social media to spread the word and demand that
      state legislators re-evaluate the potential effects of Common Core
      standards. "Stop it, fix it or scrap it," Rella chanted with the
      crowd."

      A blogger noticed this great sign held by a child: "I should be blowing bubbles, not filling them in."

      Meanwhile, the Suffolk Times and Riverhead News-Review, the
      main newspaper for the North Fork of Long Island, ran
      a blistering editorial denouncing the Common Core and the
      tests
      , predicting that state officials would end up
      dropping them and admitting their error.

      The victims of the Common Core, he warned, "will likely be the poorest among us."

      Michael White, editor of the Suffolk Times and Riverhead News-Review,
      understands that the engineers of the standards and tests are
      detached from reality.

      He wrote: "Consider that many children in
      poverty-stricken areas will still be living in single-parent or
      no-parent households in our new, Common Core world. They still
      won’t be eating or sleeping properly. They won’t be getting proper
      medical attention for physical or emotional issues that interfere
      with school. They won’t be getting help with homework, or even
      having their homework checked at home. In fact, extra attention for
      such students will be increasingly funneled away from them, as the
      focus shifts to teaching to the Common Core assessments.

      "For these kids, school’s simply getting harder, with no significant amount of
      funding set aside to provide them better access to school supplies,
      computers and internet access, or any plans to expand the school
      day or school year or bulk up after-school enrichment programs.
      With higher test failure rates, there’s also sure to be a huge
      spike in students in need of additional support through mandated
      programs such as academic intervention services. Where does that
      money come from?

      "State officials keep arguing that we must adopt
      Common Core because America’s education system lags behind those of
      other industrialized nations. But they never acknowledge that much
      of the disparity is accounted for by the performance of students in
      poor and non-English-speaking immigrant communities, which aren’t
      as prevalent in more homogeneous nations like Finland and South
      Korea."

      White sagely concluded: "Locally, it was revealed by the
      state last week that for the 2012-13 year, 74.7 percent of
      Riverhead School District students in grades 3 through 8 failed to
      meet the state’s math proficiency standard and 73.8 percent failed
      to meet the ELA standard. "Those numbers will change very little
      moving forward (at least not after some initial curriculum
      adjustments). Here’s why. In Riverhead, scores will increase
      somewhat for wealthier students but will fall at about the same
      rate, with potentially disastrous results, for those who don’t have
      the same support systems at home. Those in the middle will break
      one way or the other. "When these disparate results between
      wealthier districts and the rest of the state become apparent —
      especially in New York City — the backtracking on these
      numbers-driven policies will begin.

      "Yes, it’s my prediction Common Core will be reversed. But it’s also my hope. My fear is that so
      much money will be tied up in pricey books, testing materials and
      other increasingly entrenched funding sources for this initiative
      that the politicians and policymakers won’t ever budge. Meanwhile,
      our teachers will remain handcuffed and will continue teaching to
      tests, and more and more students who lack either a natural
      aptitude for learning or parental support will disengage from the
      classroom and the educational process in general.

      "Eventually, we’ll be wondering how we slipped even further behind Finland and
      South Korea."

      Wow.

      When suburban parents have the visionary
      leadership of men like Joseph Rella and Michael White, they will
      not fall for the lie that three-quarters of their children are
      failures. They will catch on: the kids did not fail. The tests were
      designed to label them as failures. Suburban parents will see this,
      rightly, as an assault on their children, not "reform." And they
      will tell their elected officials to stop these crazy policies that
      hurt children.

      dianerav | August 19, 2013 at 7:00 am | Categories: Accountability, Common Core, New York, Testing | URL: http://wp.me/p2odLa-5Au

      Comment

         See all comments