New DOE Regulations Clarify That Students Must Attend Kindergarten The Year They Turn Five

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2013

      Good story showing how DOE is an outlier in requiring very young kids enter Kindergarten compared to other districts and states, but she omits pointing out how esp damaging that is,  as formal instruction in reading and testing are pushed into earlier and earlier grades.

      Also with NYC having the largest class sizes in the state and  with class sizes increasing every year –now more than half of K students now in classes of 25 or larger – it is increasingly difficult to “differentiate,” as the woman from NYU advises.

      www.ny1.com/content/education/186011/new-doe-regulations-clarify-that-students-must-attend-kindergarten-the-year-they-turn-five

      07/23/2013 08:42 PM

      New DOE Regulations Clarify That Students Must Attend Kindergarten The Year They Turn Five

      By: Lindsey Christ

      http://media.ny1.com:80/media/2013/7/23/images/kindergartenage2270750e-28f6-4169-ac22-f0c80cab778f.jpg

      Across the country, schools are requiring students be older when they start kindergarten, except in New York. NY1's Lindsey Christ filed the following report.

      When Becket was four, turning five in late October, his parents worried he wasn't ready for kindergarten.

      "The principal was really accommodating and worked with the head of our preschool on what's appropriate for our son, and we ultimately chose to send him a year later, and it's worked out really well," said Lindsey Manley, Becket's mother.

      However, starting this year, neither parents nor educators will be allowed to make that decision. New Department of Education regulations clarify that students are required to attend kindergarten the year they turn five, even if that doesn't happen until December 31.

      It's also the first year kindergarten is mandatory, and while parents are allowed to opt out, the DOE is clear: if you opt out of kindergarten, you have to enroll your child in first grade the following year.

      When it comes to the kindergarten age, New York is an outlier. The state requires districts set the cutoff between December 1 and December 31. Connecticut is the only other state in the country that uses such a late date, but there, it's an option, not a mandate.

      As kindergarten has become more academic, kindergarteners have become older. Twenty-four states require they turn five the summer before enrolling, and it's September 1 in large urban school districts like Chicago, Philadelphia, Los Angles and Boston. Even within New York State, most districts set the date as early as allowed, a month earlier than New York City.

      The DOE said it thinks that December 31 is "the best date," saying it allows more students to attend school earlier. Experts say there can be benefits to getting kids in school sooner, particularly with low-income families.

      "The mandate for kids to go to school when they're five is a lot about encouraging parents to focus on education for young kids," said Kirsten Cullen Sharma of NYU Langone Medical Center.

      Sharma said that the most important thing is not the date itself, but whether teachers are able to work with a range of maturity levels.

      "How does the principal and the administrator and the teacher of the school work together to make sure that learning is differentiated so that it targets and is appropriate for all the kids coming in?" she said.

      Especially in New York City, where kids are required to come earlier than almost anywhere else.

      Sent from IPad so please excuse typos

    • t
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 29, 2013
        The article uses the buzzword differentiation. As many here know, the real way to provide "differentiation" would be to a) allow teachers, parents and principals discretion; to set the entering age a 5 by the start of school; and to provide developmentally appropriate kindergarten.

        Sadly, many parents, whether or not they're well-educated, actually sign on to this lunacy of "the more academics, the earlier, the better." They don't seem to get it that even if their child is profoundly gifted, they should be in a discovery-based, physically active, socially supportive environment until a certain age. (Like, until after graduate school...look at all of the seminars and project-based work graduate students do.) --Vicki