RE: [nyceducationnews] Definitive: SLTS weighted toward school staff

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 20, 2013

      The regulations are clear: there must be equal numbers of school staff (including the principal) and parents on every SLT.  I don’t know who told you otherwise, but they are wrong.  If your SLT was not properly constituted you can appeal every decision they have made.

      http://shar.es/ksVml

      Subscribe to Class Size Matters newsletter at  http://shar.es/wNbXk

      Subscribe to NYC education list by emailing nyceducationnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 21, 2013
        Decision making is suppose to be by consensus, not voting.

        UFT representative and other staff members who are on the SLT committee dod not always vote the way the principal wants.
        And, the parents on the SLT sometimes support the principal.
        Depends on the school and the issues.

        To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 21, 2013
          Given the enormous power of principals ...
          Unless the control of how a principal gets appointed it brought down to the school level -- I vote for elections by teachers and parents who can hold them accountable  like they do in parts of Europe --
          Talking about enforcing SLT law is moving another deck chair on the Titanic.

          A much simpler way is to add the members and divide by 2, to determine parent mandated members. The principal is a member of the team and counted. Students, allowed to be on the SLT at the HS level, are not counted.

          --
          Have a good day

          Norm Scott
          normsco@...
          917-992-3734

          On Twitter:  @normscott1

          Education Notes Online
          ednotesonline.blogspot.com/

          GEM, Grassroots Education Movement
          gemnyc.org

          The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman - Now Online
          http://gemnyc.org/our-film/

          Education Editor, The Wave
          http://www.rockawave.com/

          Norms's Robotics blog
          http://normsrobotics.blogspot.com/
        • jcalant
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 21, 2013

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 21, 2013
              We have to reform the C-30 Process and have the SLT read resumes and choose five- 10 candidates for interviews and then select a principal. Interim Acting candidates should not be allowed to apply.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 21, 2013
                Reform the C-30 process? Come back in 10 years and tell me what THAT looks like. As long as we have mayoral control they are not reforming anything that gives them less power.

                I was involved with a corrupt C-30 process back in 1996 for an AP position in my school -- all stage managed by the principal and the Dist 14 Supt. (They did serve some nice dinners for going to the meetings).
                I ran for the C-30 committee and my principal spent 2 full days going door to door to tell teachers not to vote for me or the other gal who might not go along with her -- I still got the most votes but the process freaked people out.

                If the power resided at the school level in a serious way people should have the right to choose whoever they feel is best -- maybe on a 3 year contract that must be renewed. I feel some of the best people in the system rose from teacher to supervisor in the same school.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 22, 2013
                  At my kids elementary school, our SLT bylaws call for a total of 12 members: 6 parents, 6 teachers and staff. One of the parents is the PA President, one of the staff is the principal, and one of the teachers is the UFT rep. We don't add those officers onto a group of equal representatives. They form part of the equal ratio of employee to parent, so the principal does not have a higher number of representatives that answer to her.
                  Cheers,
                  Kari