Utah legislator wants to end compulsory education | CharlotteObserver.com

  • Jim Devor
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 18, 2013
      Surprised no one else on the list has picked up on before.  It's the logical extension of Ed Reformers market driven agenda.  Now, if we can only restore child labor as a legitimate topic for discussion::

      Utah legislator wants to end compulsory education

      Published in: Politics
      SALT LAKE CITY The idea of forcing children to attend school is outdated and should be scrapped in favor of a system that encourages learning by choice, state Sen. Aaron Osmond said in calling for an end to compulsory education in Utah.
      "Some parents act as if the responsibility to educate, and even care for their child, is primarily the responsibility of the public school system," the South Jordan Republican first wrote on a state Senate blog on Friday.

      "As a result, our teachers and schools have been forced to become surrogate parents, expected to do everything from behavioral counseling, to providing adequate nutrition, to teaching sex education, as well as ensuring full college and career readiness."

      Osmond said that in the current state of public education, teachers do not receive meaningful support from parents, while at the same time parents become frustrated that schools are not able to meet the individual needs of their children.

      "Let's let them choose it, let's not force them to do it," he told the Desert News (http://tinyurl.com/lqxb2tn ) on Monday. "I think that's when you start seeing the shift."

      State School Board member Leslie Castle said she agrees that schools have become burdened with nonacademic responsibilities, like daily nutrition, basic health screenings and behavioral counseling. But the reality of Utah's increasingly diverse population is that many children require those services, she said.

      "We live in a society where some children require help beyond the ability of their parents," Castle said. "Those students don't deserve to be punished, they don't deserve to be disqualified."

      She said because of compulsory education, teachers and educators are typically the first to see evidence of trouble at home, from abuse to malnourishment. Without the requirement to attend school, or if nonacademic services were removed from the public education system, it would be necessary for the state to create some other form of publicly funded service to fill that role, Castle said.

      "Right now, every single day, somebody is checking on these children in the state of Utah," she said. "Somebody is seeing them, somebody is a watchful eye."

      Osmond said he is not advocating that students stop attending school but instead that the culture be changed from an obligation to a choice. He gave the example of kindergarten, which nearly all children attend despite no requirement to do so.

      "When the choice is available to them, they're choosing kindergarten 92 percent of the time," he said. "We have to shift the culture more than just the process."

      But Castle said ending compulsory education would affect far more than just culture. She also worried the tone of Osmond's article was indicative of the general sentiment in Utah's Legislature, which she said has continued to place responsibility for student success on teachers and schools while failing to provide adequate support or funding.

      Information from: Deseret News, http://www.deseretnews.com

      http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/07/16/4168396/ut-legislator-wants-to-end-compulsory.html

      __________________
      Jim Devor; Polemicist      Follow me on Twitter: @JimDevor     jimdevor@...
      Who does this guy Jim Devor think he is?  --   NY TimesNov. 23, 2012

    • Jim Devor

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 21, 2013
          He says,
          "teachers rarely receive meaningful support or engagement from parents."

          In NYC, it's the other way around. Parents rarely receive meaningful support or engagement from teachers. 5 minutes at conferences, twice a year, is parent/teacher communication? Scheduling random days and half-days off at the last minute for teacher comments...with merely a few days notice, and never, ever on a Friday, when it would help families?

          Virtually all schools refused to let parents ease a child's transition to kindergarten by taking them directly to the classroom each day...let alone let the parents stay on the first day until the child feels comfortable. Radical, the idea of helping a child to navigate an emotional transition.

          Many, if not most, schools don't even think parents deserve to know the name of their child's teacher before the first of school. Our school make no effort to tell us...we had to wait for our children to come home at the end of the first day of Kindegarten in this neighborhood before we even know the name of the stranger they had just spent the day with.

          Osmond also wants to encourage more people to attend school board meetings. I would give my eyeteeth for a school board meeting to attend. I refuse to participate in the Kangaroo Democracy of the CEC and PEP.

          --Vicki
          --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, Jim Devor <jimdevor@...> wrote:

          > Surprised no one else on the list has picked up on before.  It's the logical extension of Ed Reformers market driven agenda.  Now, if we can only restore child labor as a legitimate topic for discussion::
          >
          > Utah legislator wants to end compulsory education

        • shulmandl
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 22, 2013
            In NYC the calendar for the 2013-14 year is already posted on the DOE website. It includes open school week, as well as a specific day and night for parent-teacher conference visits. Probably staggered so a parent with two or more kids can get to each child's school. Fridays and Mondays were low parent attendance days and therefore are not used. Parents may always make an appointment to conference with their child's teacher. There are no "random days", scheduled for parent conferences at the last minute for teacher parent meetings. In high schools, less than 10% parent participation.

            Misinformation is worse than no information.

            --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, "t" <rg98765@...> wrote:

            > He says,
            > "teachers rarely receive meaningful support or engagement from parents."
            >
            > In NYC, it's the other way around. Parents rarely receive meaningful support or engagement from teachers. 5 minutes at conferences, twice a year, is parent/teacher communication? Scheduling random days and half-days off at the last minute for teacher comments...with merely a few days notice, and never, ever on a Friday, when it would help families?
            >
            > Virtually all schools refused to let parents ease a child's transition to kindergarten by taking them directly to the classroom each day...let alone let the parents stay on the first day until the child feels comfortable. Radical, the idea of helping a child to navigate an emotional transition.
            >
            > Many, if not most, schools don't even think parents deserve to know the name of their child's teacher before the first of school. Our school make no effort to tell us...we had to wait for our children to come home at the end of the first day of Kindegarten in this neighborhood before we even know the name of the stranger they had just spent the day with.
            >
            > Osmond also wants to encourage more people to attend school board meetings. I would give my eyeteeth for a school board meeting to attend. I refuse to participate in the Kangaroo Democracy of the CEC and PEP.
            >
            > --Vicki
            > --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, Jim Devor <jimdevor@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Surprised no one else on the list has picked up on before.  It's the logical extension of Ed Reformers market driven agenda.  Now, if we can only restore child labor as a legitimate topic for discussion::
            > >
            > > Utah legislator wants to end compulsory education

          • Rachel Paster
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 22, 2013
              Although the dates of parent teacher conferences may be on the DOE calendar, in my experience not all schools follow that.  And in my school there have certainly been times when parents were not notified (or reminded, if it was on the DOE calendar) of conferences or half days until the week before.  For working parents this can be hugely problematic.

              I also agree that parents should be notified of the names of their children's teachers before or upon the beginning of school. While I realize that some schools don't assign all of the teachers until just before the school year starts, I have to agree that it is troubling to leave children -- of any age -- with someone whose name we don't even know.  In this age of technology it should not be that difficult for the DOE to let parents know who is teaching what class.  (For instance, in our school, we find out class number assignments in the spring.   All the school would have to do is post the names of the teachers teaching each numbered class).  And in many cases the teachers don't even send home an introductory note.  Last year I could only guess at the spelling of my 1st grader's teacher's name, because until the first field trip we didn't get anything with her name on it.  Even a form letter giving the teacher's name and room number on the first day would be better.

              On the upside, I have found teachers very receptive to having conferences before school to discuss issues and concerns.

            • LRN1212@...
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 22, 2013
                At my school we have a time for students to meet with the teacher they will have the following year.  Unfortunately sometimes the teacher is changed before the beginning of the year, but most students do get to meet their teacher for the following year. Lisa N.

> [...]

                > Osmond also wants to encourage more people to attend school board meetings. I would give my eyeteeth for a school board meeting to attend. I refuse to participate in the Kangaroo Democracy of the CEC and PEP.
                >
                > --Vicki
                > --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, Jim Devor <jimdevor@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Surprised no one else on the list has picked up on before.  It's the logical extension of Ed Reformers market driven agenda.  Now, if we can only restore child labor as a legitimate topic for discussion::
                > >
                > > Utah legislator wants to end compulsory education

              • J Wedes
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 22, 2013
                  ...says the Senator who used to run a $200 million educational product line at Microsoft.

                  Who needs public education, when

                  "Family vacations with his wife and five children have been spent with personal guides who spend hours explaining the history of the Roman forums"

                  (See: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/51765746-90/osmond-education-buttars-district.html.csp)

                  Oh, wait, only poor people.

                  -justin

                  --
                  Justin Wedes
                  Educator & Activist

                  Twitter: @FreedomSchoolBK
                  Facebook: facebook.com/Education4Liberation
                  Web: http://paulrobesonfreedomschool.org/

                  ~
                  Will you #occupy?
                  ~

                • Ellen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 22, 2013
                    It's been our experience that the children either spend one day in the classroom of the teacher they will have in the next school year or the teachers come into the classroom and introduce themselves to the class.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 22, 2013
                      Good catch, Justin

                      --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, J Wedes <jwedes@...> wrote:

                      > ...says the Senator who used to run a $200 million educational product line
                      > at Microsoft.
                      >
                      > Who needs public education, when
                      >
                      > *"Family vacations with his wife and five children have been spent with
                      > personal guides who spend hours explaining the history of the Roman forums"*
                      >
                      > (See:
                      > http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/51765746-90/osmond-education-buttars-district.html.csp
                      > )
                      >
                      > Oh, wait, only poor people.
                      >
                      > -justin

                      > >> logical extension of Ed Reformers market driven agenda. Â Now, if we can
                      > >> only restore child labor as a legitimate topic for discussion::

                      > --
                      > Justin Wedes
                      > Educator & Activist
                      > Co-principal, Paul Robeson Freedom School
                      >
                      > Twitter: @FreedomSchoolBK
                      > Facebook: facebook.com/Education4Liberation
                      > Web: http://paulrobesonfreedomschool.org/
                      >
                      > ~
                      > Will you #occupy?
                      > ~

                    • Ellen
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 22, 2013
                        ah, but at whose expense: his or the public's?