Fwd: Next steps on Petraeus

  • John M. Beam
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2013
      Interesting petition from my (just recently acquired do to redistricting) council member re/ the contrast between CUNY's super star deal with Gen. Petraeus and what rank and file faculty make. You will probably have to cut and paste the link.   JMB

      To: John_Beam@...
      Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 20:25:01 -0700
      From: "Brad Lander, NY City Council Progressives"

      Dear John,

      Thank you for standing up against the big payday CUNY administrators have promised to David Petraeus.

      Over 2,000 people have signed the petition so far, including many CUNY professors and students who shared their stories about how CUNY’s mixed up priorities are affecting the education at their university.

      Pressure is building on CUNY. Our petition was covered in AM New York and in Salon and more and more national journalists are paying attention.

      To make a difference here, we need a lot more people to sign the petition. Can you help us spread the word? Please post the petition on your Facebook and Twitter accounts, or email it to friends and relatives.

      Here is the link to the petition: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/cuny-petraeus?source=s.icn.em.cr&r_by=780529&mailing_id=13846

      Thanks for your support.

      Brad

      Here's a sample message to send to your friends:

      Hi,

      At a time when the City University of New York (CUNY) pays an adjunct faculty member carrying a full course load as little as $25,000 per year, the university has offered former CIA Director David Petraeus $150,000 to teach a seminar next year. That is just 15-20 students.

      Even though these are private donations, they surely could be better spent – to help students who cannot afford to pay the 30% tuition increase that CUNY has been implementing over five years. And it is outrageous to spend so much on one class, when some CUNY classes are so over-subscribed that students sit on windowsills and radiators because all the seats are full.

      CUNY has been underfunded for decades – a sad sign of our under-commitment to higher education. That means the CUNY administration needs to make every dollar count toward educating the young people of New York.

      CUNY’s mission is to provide a college education to the “children of the whole people,” and these expenditures of funds are an insult to the people of New York, especially those most connected to CUNY, and that mission.

      That's why I signed a petition calling on CUNY to rescind $150,000 promised to David Petraeus.

      Will you sign the petition too? Click here to add your name.

      Thanks!

      This message was sent to John Beam by Brad Lander, NY City Council Progressives through MoveOn's public petition website. MoveOn Civic Action does not endorse the contents of this message. To unsubscribe or report this email as inappropriate, click here: http://petitions.moveon.org/unsub.html?i=13846-780529-yc01iX

      Want to make a donation? MoveOn is entirely funded by our 8 million members­no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.