Re: [nyceducationnews] StudentsFirst press release

  • LRN1212@...
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9 2:08 PM
      What "data" are they looking at? Has the DOE put out public information about how many U rated teachers there are in each school?  If so, then the DOE should also look at which principals continually seem to rate large numbers of teachers as "U", as well as, what collaborative supports are in those schools to help teachers help  the large numbers of high need students. Lisa N.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 9 3:09 PM
        what data indeed?
         Are charter school teachers are rated in any systematic way?
        if not,  how do we measure their quality or effectiveness?
         what if we looked at certification and experience as ways of measuring quality?
        or staff turn over?

        Lisa

        To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
        From: LRN1212@...
        Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 17:08:52 -0400

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 9 6:34 PM
          I hope to heaven this is a tongue in cheek comment because if it isn't and you are a staff member at a school I would be very concerned about your commitment to furthering my son's or daughter's education.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 9 6:58 PM
            If charter schools are pbulic and if they are succeeding at the rate they claim then I would have to guess that there would be no problem with determining which teachers at the schools are rated inept/ineffective. That may explain the turn over in staffing. Or it may clear the way for some real information about quality vs quantity.
            I am more concerned about the surge in for profit schools. These folks can invest money in PR and seduce the the naive student or parent into debt and not into education.
            What happened to the Congressional investigation into the robber barons who formed these for profit shake downs?

            --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Donlan <lisabdonlan@...> wrote:

            > what data indeed? Are charter school teachers are rated in any systematic way?if not, how do we measure their quality or effectiveness? what if we looked at certification and experience as ways of measuring quality?
            > or staff turn over?
            > Lisa
            > To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
            > From: LRN1212@...
            > Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 17:08:52 -0400
            > Subject: Re: [nyceducationnews] StudentsFirst press release

            > What "data" are they looking at? Has the DOE put out public information about how many U rated teachers there are in each school? If so, then the DOE should also look at which principals continually seem to rate large numbers of teachers as "U", as well as, what collaborative supports are in those schools to help teachers help the large numbers of high need students. Lisa N.

          • jcalant
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 10 5:55 AM
              This is a serious comment. To add, put so called satisfactory teachers in these high need schools and many of them would be U-Rated, based on the politics of the school.

              Many teachers are rated unsatisfactory because it is perceived that their classroom management is poor. However, the administration offers little support. Put these teachers in classrooms with students who want to learn, and they will do find.

              Until we realize that there is an academic deficiency in our students' work habits and attitudes,that is supported by the lack of accountability and positive learning environments in our schools, we will be continually talking aboout school reform, without any meaningful results. The last 40 years is evidence of "spinning our wheels" with education reform that doesn't work.Being a national problem,its roots are in a culture that  fosters an "entitlement mentality", rather than achievement and merit.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 10 10:22 AM
                I taught elementary school in one of the poorest neighborhoods in Brooklyn and saw every type of student imagineable and I categorically reject your blame the student/parent comments, espevially coming from a teacher.
                In essence you are no different than the blame the teacher crowd.
                If there is something broken on that end it is our responsibility as teachers of these children and as citizens to use whatever powers we have to try to fix it and to use the power of the key organization we belong to - the uft - to do so. That has been the basis of my activism since 1970 as a teacher in and out of the classroom from the school/community level to city and national politics. Instead of whining about the students join the struggle.
                Norm
                Cheers,
                Norm Scott

                Twitter: normscott1