possible explanation for next year budget cuts?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2013

      After talking to someone from the CSA, I think that the sharp budget cuts schools are experiencing may be due to something called USPE reconciliation.

      That is, students w/ disabilities who spend 60% or less time in special ed classes have now been recategorized as gened students in ATS, leading to a loss in funding.  This was going to happen last year but was partly slowed down b/c of protests and has been fully implemented this year

      See:      Special ed caution urged as personnel, funding changes loom | GothamSchools http://shar.es/xEUjB

      PEP okays special ed funding plan, despite requests for caution | GothamSchools http://shar.es/xEU2c

         After backlash, city tweaks new special education funding rules | GothamSchools http://shar.es/xEU7M

      Does this align with what others have heard?  And if so, where is all this money going – if it’s being cut from schools w/ no overall cut in the education budget?

      Subscribe to Class Size Matters newsletter at  http://shar.es/wNbXk

      Subscribe to NYC education list by emailing nyceducationnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com