FW: Let parents keep kids' data private | The Journal News | LoHud.com | lohud.com

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2013

      http://www.lohud.com/article/20130620/OPINION/306200062/Let-parents-keep-kids-data-private

      Let parents keep kids' data private

      Jun. 20, 2013   |

      With three children, one with special needs, my husband and I are legally responsible for them until they reach 18 years old.

      Our parental rights have been taken over by the New York State Department of Education and Board of Regents when they share our children’s personal data with third-party vendors, to help them develop and market products without our parental consent. I applaud the New York state legislators who have courageously presented legislation to protect our children’s private data.

      Assemblywoman Catherine Nolan’s bill A7872 which would give parents the right to “opt-out” was approved by the Education Committee. However, this bill is being opposed by the New York State School Boards Association and New York State Council of School Superintendents who are concerned “only” about the costs of implementing such legislation, not our children’s privacy. I vehemently disagree with this opposition as public schools already have procedures in place for parents to opt out of other requirements and it would not add any financial burden.

      I encourage all parents and legal guardians to immediately contact State Sens. John Flanagan, Dean Skelos and Jeffrey Klein to champion this bill in the Senate.

      Many parents are not aware how the state is planning to violate our fundamental right to protect our children, especially when it comes to their private data.

      Please act now before it’s too late and our children’s data is released to third-party vendors and potentially breached or abused.

      Lisa Rudley

      Briarcliff Manor