School Closures Documentary

  • Mr. Portelos
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2013

      I have been contacted to be interviewed today for a documentary on school closures. Now my school, Berta Dreyfus IS 49 in Staten Island, has not been closed, but has been neglected and primed for closure www.occupywarrenstreet.org. That is my angle. The only school in Staten Island to be closed was the elementary school down the block.

      Just to make sure I am on the same page as everyone else before my interview, school's close because of bad teachers, correct? Not bad policies? Not neglect?

      Here is a Youtube video I found of Shael Suransky visiting CEC 31 on April 9, 2013. http://youtu.be/PAvGyME631g?t=13m27s

       At about 13 min 27 seconds advocate Loretta Prisco asked about school closures and at about 14 min 10 seconds Shael describes how a "NEW team of teachers" starts fresh and produce results for a new school. A new team?

      Amazing...Wonder if he knew he was being recorded. A lot of interesting quotes. Here is a playlist I created of all 5 segments: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDT9AjpZaeuB92gcrp1qm2HxtwhB4Flge

      PS: The Children First Network Ratings have been publicly posted. My school's network CFN 211 has been rated poorly. I attempted to have my SLT discuss changing, but was silenced with a letter from DOE attorney Robin Greenfield.

      --
      -Francesco Portelos
      IS 49 UFT Chapter Leader

      "In the end, we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King Jr.