Action Alert for Today/Tomorrow re: Student Data Privacy and inBloom

  • Edith Baltazar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2013
      From Class Size Matters:

      Great news!

      A new bill was introduced by Assemblymember Nolan to block the inBloom project, but we need you to contact your State Senator today to help see it through.

      A bill introduced by Assemblymember Cathy Nolan, A. 7872 was approved by the NYS Assembly Education Committee yesterday.  Though not perfect, it would allow parents to
      opt out their children’s personal data from being shared with inBloom Inc. and for-profit vendors.  As such, it represents a big step forward in protecting the privacy rights of children.

      Contact your State Senators today; and ask them to introduce and co-sponsor the same bill in the Senate.  We only have one more week of the Legislative session, so you need to call them today.

      Find their contact information at  www.nysenate.gov

      If you can, email us at info@... to let us know what they said.

      Also forward this message to your friends and colleagues, and share on Facebook as well.
      _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      1) Contact:

      a) Chair of the Senate Education Committee, John Flanagan
      b) Your State Senator (e.g., Adriano Espaillat, Jose Serrano, or other):
      Find yours at  www.nysenate.gov

      2) Sample letter below. Let's make our voices heard on this issue today!!!

      Subject: Regarding Student Data Privacy

      A new bill was introduced by Assemblymember Nolan to block the inBloom project.

      A bill introduced by Assemblymember Cathy Nolan, A. 7872 was approved by the NYS Assembly Education Committee yesterday.
      Though not perfect, it would allow parents to opt out their children’s personal data from being shared with inBloom Inc. and for-profit vendors.
      As such, it represents a big step forward in protecting the privacy rights of children.

      I urge you, Senator _____________________, to please introduce and co-sponsor the same bill in the Senate.

      I am a public school parent of _____[number]; my kids go to _________________. New York seems to be one of the few states in the country
      willing to share with inBloom, a private corporation, our children's data, including name, address, Social Security number, IEP (individualized
      education plan), health information, test scores, and other information. This is alarming to me and to many, many parents across New York City and New York state.

      For more information: