Re: [nyceducationnews] Update! ! Portelos Challenges "No Recording" Policies at DOE Despite Erminia Claudio Threats

  • John M. Beam
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2013
      What did DOE reply?

      jmb

      At 07:23 PM 5/15/2013 -0400, you wrote:

      I wanted to update everyone on the new developments today. As you may know I have dodged two disciplinary meetings because I insist on exercising my right and recording it and they won't allow it to proceed.

      Well today I was on a conference call for my federal lawsuit. On the call was my attorney, the city's attorney and federal magistrate. My attorney brings up the fact that the DOE publicly announced they are moving to terminate me and it's been over two weeks with no charges. The city responds something like "They haven't been able to charge plaintiff because he insists on recording the disciplinary hearing they need to have." The magistrate responds "What's the problem with recording it? "

      Ha....imagine that. Exercising my right and holding them accountable is delaying my potential termination hearing. Amazing how my smartphone has turned into my sling in this David vs Goliath battle.

      More detailed information can be found here: http://protectportelos.org/audio-recording-doe-encounters-a-real-doelemma-for-the-robins-and-friends/

      -Francesco Portelos
      mrportelos@...
      educatorfightsback.org
      Parent
      Educator
      UFT Chapter Leader IS 49
      “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
      *sent from my Galaxy S3. Please pardon any typos
      On May 10, 2013 9:56 AM, "Mr. Portelos" <mrportelos@...> wrote:

      Update: 9:30am. I recorded and didn't hide the fact as I spoke into my phone and tablet. Again she insisted the meeting could not take place if I was recording. "Power everything down. Don't make me check." She stated.  It was as if Lex Luther was attempting to feed Clark Kent Kryptonite. Might as well make me walk through an Electro-Magnetic Pulse machine and fry all my devices.
        In addition to the regular School Safety Agent at the desk, there were two additional agents posted at her door. What? I'm just a mild mannered parent who has had enough of the corruption and I happen to be an educator. This past Tuesday there were EIGHT School Safety Agents at school as I was barred from attending a public meeting.

      The meeting ended and they are trying to say I didn't want to meet. I spoke into my smartphone and stated "let the record show I want to have this meeting, but also exercise my right as citizen as per Penal Law 250."  At no point did they reference an article of our contract, a law, a regulation or policy.

      As I left, they told me "oh also, you can't go to IS 49." I was supposed to go and cast my ballot for an SBO. I am the chapter leader.

      They will try to get me on insubordination and just fuel my federal case. If I do not receive formal charges today, the 15th day since the SCI report, I have to be returned. Today is day 380!! All of you have been paying me "not to teach".

      Please make calls to Courtenaye Jackson-Chase, top attorney (212) 374-3440. She runs the show. CJackson-Chase@... also Deputy Mayor Patti Harris +1 212-788-3000

      This isn't just my fight...it's ours.

      Subscribe www.educatorfightsback.org

      From: "Claudio Erminia" <eclaudi@... >
      Date: May 9, 2013 1:44 PM
      Subject: RE: May 10, 2013 Disciplinary Hearing
      To: "Francesco Portelos" <fportelos@...>

      Dear Mr. Portelos,

      As we discussed, you are not permitted to record the disciplinary conference.  I expect to see you tomorrow at 9:00am in my office without any recording devices.  Should you prevent the conference from going forward for a second time, we will take whatever actions we deem appropriate.

      E. Claudio

      Erminia Claudio
      Community Superintendent, District 31
      715  Ocean Terrace, Building A
      Staten Island, New York 10301
      Telephone #: 718 420-5667
      Fax #:  718 420-5677
      eclaudi@...

      More from Francesco Portelos:
      See my post about audio recording disciplinary hearing. My superintendent and DOE lawyers are having a fit. This can be huge for staff under attack if they can't stop audio recordings. http://wp.me/p31ecs-vO

       And the older correspondence:
      Ms. Claudio
          Perhaps it's best an attorney from the Department of Education is present as this situation is not only delicate, high profile and in litigation, but also that with new information provided, you may be added as a defendant in an amended complaint of Federal case 12 CV 3141. I'm simply saying this would be best for both of us considering that what both of us say will probably come up in a court hearing.
      -Francesco Portelos

        --------

        --
        Posted By ed notes online to Ed Notes Online at 5/10/2013 08:47:00 AM

        --
        Have a good day

        Norm Scott
        normsco@...
        917-992-3734

        On Twitter:  @normscott1

        Education Notes Online
        ednotesonline.blogspot.com/

        GEM, Grassroots Education Movement
        gemnyc.org

        The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman - Now Online
        http://gemnyc.org/our-film/

        Education Editor, The Wave
        http://www.rockawave.com/

        Norms's Robotics blog
        http://normsrobotics.blogspot.com/

      • Laura Cavalleri
        Message 3 of 5 , May 16, 2013
          Yes it is a Shame, you would have been one of those outstanding teachers that put on the Greatness Performance that this districts public schools ever had.
          "Set Your Sail to the 2013 MAST Fair", Dreyfus Intermediate School 49R,..... the list of honorables mentions the Dignitaries of the higher uppers, but the Humblest acknowledgment goes to the last mention name, Ms. Mala Ruzi, AP, the Organizer and Orchestrator of the event,.... to Ms. Ruzi and the Teachers of IS49  Bravo, for their organization, For their guidance, For giving our children the greatest experiences of learning, Bravo!! For showing off what our children your students can do.   This show was for us parents, most of us had no idea what to Expect. As a parent there has been little successful parent engagement and we struggle to make parent involvement with the school, Mr. P. is right the management of the school needs to be addressed because with such Great Teachers as These They Too Deserve Nothing Less Then The Best Positive Community Family and Teachers Engagement..These are Great Students and they Deserve their Chance to without being labeled the Stapleton's school Title1.
          Thank you again Teachers and AP Ms. Ruzi for showing us parents what you could do in Creating a greatest of learning experiences, We were overwhelming pleasantly surprised by the work being shown of what our children the students and teachers do at IS49.

          To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , May 16, 2013
            Hi Francesco,

             Even if they try to dismiss you, you will have a 3020a hearing , with an arbitrator. NYSUT will provide a free atorney if you desire. The hearing moves quickly. In my opinion, they do not have a case for removal. They will try to get you to agree to a fine and to leave the school, becoming an ATR. In my opinion, you will be blacklisted as an ATR by the DOE. Therefore,if you agree to leave the school, insist on a transfer.