Chancellor Dennis Walcott, May 20th, 6 pm

  • Brooke yahoo
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2013

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "matthewics" <matthew.levey@...>
      Date: May 15, 2013, 8:44:42 PM EDT
      To: SHParentsGroup@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SHParentsGroup] Meeting with School's Chancellor Dennis Walcott, May 20th, 6 pm

      NYC Schools Chief attends a parent meeting on Monday night at 6 pm.  170 Gates Avenue in Bed-Stuy.

      Organized by the Community Education Council for D13.

      As a new elementary public school hoping to open in the area next year, we'll be there.

      Whether you're interested in ICS or not, this is your chance to talk to the head of the school system and let him know your concerns or questions.

      Details here

      Matthew Levey
      Founder

    • Lisa Donlan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2013

        As shown below (click to enlarge), CSD 13 includes parts of Brooklyn Heights, downtown Brooklyn, Vinegar Hill and Dumbo, running southeast along Fulton Street and Atlantic Avenue to Utica Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant and south along Flatbush Avenue to Prospect Heights.

        Map of Community School District 13

        We are considering a range of options including spare capacity in an existing school building as well as leasing space from a commercial landlord. Cost, capacity, and ease of access to public transportation are among the many considerations we are seeking to balance as we look around the area.

        Board of Trustees

        Ashley Garrett is the Director of the All Souls Soup Kitchen, a privately funded program that serves over 19,000 meals a year. A trustee of the New York City Center for Autism Charter School, Ashley also serves as the vocational training coordinator for a District 75 high school in Harlem. Previously she served as a Trustee of Prep for Prep (an organization that provides talented children in underserved communities with academic and leadership training) and was chair of the George School Resources Committee (providing guidance and raising funds for this 9-12 independent Quaker boarding and day school). Ashley began her career in credit card marketing, working for Chemical Bank and then MasterCard. She earned her BA at Smith College and an MBA from Harvard University. Ashley and her husband have two daughters, one in college and one in 8th grade.

        David Maya is a partner with Oliver Wyman Group, a global management consulting firm, where he advises financial services firms on strategic business issues.  Prior to his current role, David led Strategy & Business Development for the transaction banking divisions of Citi and JP Morgan respectively. In those roles, David built talented global teams, led key strategic initiatives, and delivered results by combining business judgment with a fact-based and pragmatic approach. He began his professional career at McKinsey & Co.  A native of Turkey, David has lived and worked in various countries, including Venezuela, Argentina, and the UK.  David has a BA from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and an M.Sc. from the University of Oxford. He was awarded the Fulbright Scholarship as well as Oxford’s “University Scholarship”. David and his wife have two children who attend public schools in Manhattan.

        Kenneth Mbonu is the Director for Economic Development at the Bridge Street Development Corporation, a Brooklyn-based non-profit. His work focuses on community level development priorities including real estate, physical infrastructure, and business support. He worked previously as loan officer for the Israeli Discount Bank and Bank of America, and purchased, operated and sold a specialty chemical business in northern New Jersey. A native of Nigeria, Kenneth earned his BA at CUNY’s York College, and an MBA at Pace University. He is a member of the Economic Development Committee of Community Board 3 and chairs the Business Vitality Group of the Coalition for the Improvement of Bedford Stuyvesant. Kenneth and his wife have two children who attend public schools in Brooklyn.

        Robert Pondiscio is the Executive Director of Citizenship First, a foundation focused building children’s civic knowledge and participation in political discourse though more effective k-12 education. He left a career in journalism at BusinessWeek magazine in 2002 to teach fifth grade in a struggling South Bronx elementary school. Following five years in the classroom, he worked as an independent consultant offering strategic communications counsel and advocating on behalf of education nonprofits. Robert served as Vice President for Communications at the Core Knowledge Foundation until December 2012. Robert’s daughter attends an independent school in Brooklyn.

        Daniel Reid is the Director of Strategic Planning at the Hunter College School of Education (HCSOE) and the CUNY Institute for Education Policy at Roosevelt House (CIEP). In this capacity, he also works as chief of staff to David Steiner – Dean of the HCSOE, Director of the CIEP, and former New York State Commissioner of Education – and has supported educational initiatives at organizations including the Council of Chief School Officers, the New Jersey Department of Education, and schools in New York City. He previously provided strategic guidance to a wide range of public and private institutions as an Engagement Manager at McKinsey. A graduate of the Yale Law School, he has also published on federal, state, and local policy issues.

        Daria Rigney is a former teacher, staff developer, middle school principal and district superintendent. She is a literacy expert with more than two decades of experience across New York City Schools. Her efforts have ranged from teaching in some of our most challenging schools to leading District 2, long acknowledged as one of New York City’s most successful districts. Retired from the Department of Education, she currently serves as a senior advisor at the Leadership Academy, training and mentoring the next generation of principals and leading school assessments. A long-time Brooklyn resident, Daria began her teaching career at PS 321, an elementary school in Park Slope, following a decade as an art advisor to corporations and individuals. Her two adult children attended Brooklyn public schools.

        Jennifer Stillman, Ph.D is the Director of Assessment and Evaluation for New Classrooms Innovation Partners, a non-profit focused on personalized, blended middle school math programs. She previously worked as research analyst for the New York City Department of Education’s Office of Innovation. Jennifer taught government and politics to high school students in Brooklyn, the Bronx , and Fairfax County, Virginia for six years, and served as a legislative assistant to U.S. Senator Harry Reid before earning her doctorate in Politics and Education at Teachers College, Columbia University. Jennifer’s book, Gentrification and Schools, explores the process of school integration in gentrifying neighborhoods. She lives in Harlem with her husband and two children.

        To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
        From: bdunn90@...
        Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 21:07:59 -0400
        Subject: [nyceducationnews] Chancellor Dennis Walcott, May 20th, 6 pm

        Begin forwarded message:

        Message 3 of 4 , May 15, 2013
          You can find the full proposal here:

          The proposal is "active," so the next step is approval.

          Walcott doesn't usually show up for these things, right?

          I can't imagine CEC13 is supportive.

          Brooke

          To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
          From: bdunn90@...
          Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 21:07:59 -0400

          Begin forwarded message:

          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2013
            Walcott is visiting the D24 CEC the week after D13, so perhaps the charter school people are crashing his visit to 13 to campaign for their school.