RE: [nyceducationnews] horrifying!

  • John M. Beam
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2013
      Since in loco parentis just means in the place of parents, we are left with the question of whether the principal is behaving like a parent if she allows a bunch of suits to interrogate a child.  If she has the legal authority to act as parent, she has a moral obligation to act like a parent. JMB

      At 09:17 AM 5/15/2013 -0400, you wrote:

      When incidents such as these have occurred in my district we have been told that the Principal may act in loco parentis.

      Has this common law doctrine ever been challenged in the courts such that guidelines and remedies have been established?

      Certainly students and families have rights that would contradict any form of abuse that the loco parentis relationship could give rise to?

      Lisa

      To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
      From: John_Beam@...
      Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 09:11:07 -0400
      Subject: Re: [nyceducationnews] horrifying!

      Unfortunately, interrogation and sometimes physical searches of students without parental permission or presence occur in a variety of situations in public schools, including ours in New York.  See, for example, the testimony of Dignity in Schools Campaign representatives at the recent City Council hearing on the Student Safety Act.

      JMB

      At 08:10 AM 5/15/2013 -0400, you wrote:

      http://atthechalkface.com/2013/05/14/third-graders-being-investigated-in-new-york/

      Victoria (Tory) Frye