Pushback from US Senate on Common Core.

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2013

      Pushback from US Senate on Common Core.

      From: correspondence_reply@...
      To: lisashawnyc@...
      CC:
      Subject: Thank you for contacting the Office of Senator Deb Fischer
      Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 17:30:34 -0400

      DEB FISCHER

      NEBRASKA

      United States Senate

      WASHINGTON, DC 20510

      (202) 224-6551
      (202) 228-1325 FAX

      COMMITTEES:

      ARMED SERVICES

      COMMERCE, SCIENCE, AND TRANSPORTATION

      ENVIRONMENT AND
      PUBLIC WORKS

      INDIAN AFFAIRS

      SMALL BUSINESS AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP

      May 10, 2013

      Dear Lisa,

      Thank you for contacting me about the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

      The Common Core program was launched at the state level as a voluntary effort of states to adopt a single set of educational standards for English language arts and mathematics. However, federal incentives have clouded the picture. Recently, the awarding of federal education waivers and grants has favored Common Core states, which backhandedly encourages the adoption of these multi-state education standards.

      As you may know, Nebraska is one of five states which have not adopted the Common Core standards. We in Nebraska are proud of our standards, which have been developed with the involvement of Nebraska educators. Nebraska’s students, parents, and educators, should not be punished for our state’s decision. Nebraska should be able compete for education grants and waivers without being compelled to adopt multi-state education standards such as Common Core.

      On April 26, 2013, I joined eight of my Senate colleagues in sending a letter to the Senate Appropriations subcommittee with jurisdiction over the U.S. Department of Education reaffirming our views that decisions on education standards should be left to each state, and that the Federal government should not be meddling in this issue. We asked the subcommittee to include in its appropriations bill language that would prevent the Department of Education from incentivizing the adoption of Common Core.

      I hope that our views will be respectfully considered. As a former school board member, I well understand the importance of state sovereignty in education policy. Each state has unique challenges, and they—not the federal government—know how best to educate their own children. With revision of Nebraska’s education standards soon to commence, I would encourage you to also make your views known to your state senator in the Nebraska Unicameral.

      I will be sure to keep your views in mind as this issue develops. As always, I appreciate you taking the time to share your views with me. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me through my website at www.fischer.senate.gov.

      Sincerely,

      Deb Fischer

      United States Senator

      P.S. Next time you’re in Washington, please plan to attend the Nebraska breakfast. The breakfast is held on most Wednesdays when the Senate is in session. Call my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-6551 to RSVP.

      ***Please do not reply to this message as this mailbox cannot receive incoming messages.***

      440 North 8th Street, Suite 120
      Lincoln, NE 68508
      (402) 441-4600
      (402) 476-8753 FAX