Re: [nyceducationnews] Re: Cathie Black Email Reading Party!

  • Diane Ravitch
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2 8:58 PM
      At the time of the email exchange, no oNe thought about college presidents. They obsessed over Oprah and Caroline.

      Diane

      On May 2, 2013, at 11:50 PM, "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...> wrote:

      They had some college presidents sign a letter of support that was posted here:

      only two for NYC, Jennifer Raab of Hunter and Brademas of NYU.  Amazing they couldn’t even get the other CUNY presidents to sign on.

      Message 2 of 13 , May 2 9:14 PM
        As for the party, Michael Barbaro says it was her annual holiday party.

        Wonder if Steiner was there, 1 week before he gave her the OK to lead...

        mikiebarb
        @justinwedes she had an annual holiday party that drew a real a-list crowd. Appears to be that.
        5/2/13 11:39 PM

        On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Leonie Haimson <leonie@...> wrote:

[...]

        From Day One, this was a society pages hookup that the Mayor apparently thought he could sell by having enough society pages types supporting it. He must have been shocked to find out that NYC public school parents actually wanted a schools chancellor who knew something about educational administration instead of someone Mike had cocktails with at a couple of parties.

        Definitely one of the lowest points in Bloomberg's twelve years, and one of the most revealing of his disdain for everyone whose net worth is less than five or ten million.

        Steve Koss

        I hope everyone is enjoying the wild ride through these emails. Today should be a turning point in the struggle to take down the corporate ed deformers. The emperor really has no clothes on.

        But one thing still puzzles me...

        Cathie planned a party at her house - and asked the City if she should get security for it - a full week before the public announcement of her appointment to the job.

        Who came to that party I wonder?

        Inline image 1

        --
        Justin Wedes
        Educator & Activist
        Co-principal, Paul Robeson Freedom School

        ~
        Will you #occupy?
        ~

        --
        Justin Wedes

        Educator & Activist

        Co-principal, Paul Robeson Freedom School

        Twitter: @FreedomSchoolBK

        ~

        Will you #occupy?

        ~

        --
        Justin Wedes
        Educator & Activist
        Co-principal, Paul Robeson Freedom School

        Twitter: @FreedomSchoolBK

        ~
        Will you #occupy?
        ~
      • Mr. Portelos
        Message 3 of 13 , May 13 8:43 AM
          Does anyone know who "CH" was in the Cathy Black emails? I found some of the people mentioned in the list are players in my ongoing saga of corruption and cover up. Senior Field Counsel Robin Greenfield mentioned getting the draft to "CH". Thoughts?

          -Francesco Portelos
          IS 49 UFT Chapter Leader

          "In the end, we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King Jr.

          On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Diane Ravitch <gardendr@...> wrote:

          Read my take.

          On May 2, 2013, at 11:28 PM, Mathman180@... wrote:

[...]

          From Day One, this was a society pages hookup that the Mayor apparently thought he could sell by having enough society pages types supporting it. He must have been shocked to find out that NYC public school parents actually wanted a schools chancellor who knew something about educational administration instead of someone Mike had cocktails with at a couple of parties.

          Definitely one of the lowest points in Bloomberg's twelve years, and one of the most revealing of his disdain for everyone whose net worth is less than five or ten million.

          Steve Koss

          I hope everyone is enjoying the wild ride through these emails. Today should be a turning point in the struggle to take down the corporate ed deformers. The emperor really has no clothes on.

          But one thing still puzzles me...

          Cathie planned a party at her house - and asked the City if she should get security for it - a full week before the public announcement of her appointment to the job.

          Who came to that party I wonder?

          <Screen shot 2013-05-02 at 9.54.07 PM.png>

          Message 5 of 13 , May 13 9:18 AM

            That usually means City Hall

            Lisa Fleisher

            reporter

            The Wall Street Journal

            973-531-7373

            @lisafleisher

[...]

            Facebook: facebook.com/Education4Liberation
            Web: http://paulrobesonfreedomschool.org/

            ~
            Will you #occupy?
            ~

            Message 6 of 13 , May 13 9:19 AM

              I think that CH means City Hall; i.e. the mayor’s office.

              Message 7 of 13 , May 13 9:35 AM

                Thanks. That makes sense. You learn a new thing everyday. Especially when you get paid to sit and do nothing.

                I'm glad I've at least used my time wisely and not succumbed to watching movies or playing Fruit Ninja. If I didn't have such a passion for public education, I would probably get my law degree here. This Thursday we depose former HR Director Andrew Gordon. Can't wait.

                383 days in exile and no charges...

                -Francesco Portelos
                mrportelos@...
                educatorfightsback.org
                Parent
                Educator
                UFT Chapter Leader IS 49
                “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
                *sent from my Galaxy S3. Please pardon any typos