Re: [nyceducationnews] Re: Cathie Black Email Reading Party!

  • Diane Ravitch
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2013
      Read my take.

      On May 2, 2013, at 11:28 PM, Mathman180@... wrote:

      Extraordinary -- Bloomberg's people saw the Cathie Black announcement as nothing more than a PR exercise, finding enough "famous women" to provide support as though her new position was Commissioner of Cultural Affairs. Gayle King, Oprah, Whoopi Goldberg, Ivanka Trump(!!!!), Diane von Furstenberg, Donna Karan, Caroline Kennedy, Bette Midler, Marlo Thomas, Phyllis George, Donna Hanover (Giuliani), Deborah Norville, Suze Orman,......... Not that they aren't accomplished people each in her own way, but not one of them is an education person. It's painfully obvious that NO attempt was being made to find ANYONE from the education field who would offer even the slightest bit of credibility to the notion of Cathie Black as a schools superintendent. It doesn't appear that they even tried to put Cathie in a room with an education professional or two in the hope that she could make enough of a case to get their support -- they obviously knew she could never sell herself well enough to succeed with that strategy.

      From Day One, this was a society pages hookup that the Mayor apparently thought he could sell by having enough society pages types supporting it. He must have been shocked to find out that NYC public school parents actually wanted a schools chancellor who knew something about educational administration instead of someone Mike had cocktails with at a couple of parties.

      Definitely one of the lowest points in Bloomberg's twelve years, and one of the most revealing of his disdain for everyone whose net worth is less than five or ten million.

      Steve Koss

      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2013
        Excellent piece, Diane.

        Now might be a good time to remember that Bloomberg has never cared much for the interests of anyone besides the 18,000 richest NY'ers:

        "Consider that about 18,000 city residents — a half of 1% of all taxpayers — pay 40% of our city tax revenue. If some of these individuals move out of the city as a result of losing the deduction, or if they start to spend 183 nights in Westchester or Connecticut, our tax base would be decimated. We would have billions of dollars less for our schools, parks, police, social services, transportation and cultural institutions."

        -j

        On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Diane Ravitch <gardendr@...> wrote:

[...]

        From Day One, this was a society pages hookup that the Mayor apparently thought he could sell by having enough society pages types supporting it. He must have been shocked to find out that NYC public school parents actually wanted a schools chancellor who knew something about educational administration instead of someone Mike had cocktails with at a couple of parties.

        --
        Justin Wedes
        Educator & Activist
        Co-principal, Paul Robeson Freedom School
        ~
        Will you #occupy?
        ~

        --
        Justin Wedes
        Educator & Activist
        Co-principal, Paul Robeson Freedom School

        Twitter: @FreedomSchoolBK

        ~
        Will you #occupy?
        ~

        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2013

          They had some college presidents sign a letter of support that was posted here:

          only two for NYC, Jennifer Raab of Hunter and Brademas of NYU.  Amazing they couldn’t even get the other CUNY presidents to sign on.

[...]

          From Day One, this was a society pages hookup that the Mayor apparently thought he could sell by having enough society pages types supporting it. He must have been shocked to find out that NYC public school parents actually wanted a schools chancellor who knew something about educational administration instead of someone Mike had cocktails with at a couple of parties.

          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2013
            At the time of the email exchange, no oNe thought about college presidents. They obsessed over Oprah and Caroline.

            Diane

[...]

            From Day One, this was a society pages hookup that the Mayor apparently thought he could sell by having enough society pages types supporting it. He must have been shocked to find out that NYC public school parents actually wanted a schools chancellor who knew something about educational administration instead of someone Mike had cocktails with at a couple of parties.

            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2013
              As for the party, Michael Barbaro says it was her annual holiday party.

              Wonder if Steiner was there, 1 week before he gave her the OK to lead...

              mikiebarb
              @justinwedes she had an annual holiday party that drew a real a-list crowd. Appears to be that.
              5/2/13 11:39 PM

              On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Leonie Haimson <leonie@...> wrote:

[...]

              From Day One, this was a society pages hookup that the Mayor apparently thought he could sell by having enough society pages types supporting it. He must have been shocked to find out that NYC public school parents actually wanted a schools chancellor who knew something about educational administration instead of someone Mike had cocktails with at a couple of parties.

              Message 6 of 13 , May 13, 2013
                Does anyone know who "CH" was in the Cathy Black emails? I found some of the people mentioned in the list are players in my ongoing saga of corruption and cover up. Senior Field Counsel Robin Greenfield mentioned getting the draft to "CH". Thoughts?

                -Francesco Portelos
                IS 49 UFT Chapter Leader

                "In the end, we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King Jr.

[...]

                From Day One, this was a society pages hookup that the Mayor apparently thought he could sell by having enough society pages types supporting it. He must have been shocked to find out that NYC public school parents actually wanted a schools chancellor who knew something about educational administration instead of someone Mike had cocktails with at a couple of parties.

                Message 8 of 13 , May 13, 2013

                  That usually means City Hall

                  Lisa Fleisher

                  reporter

                  The Wall Street Journal

                  973-531-7373

                  @lisafleisher

[...]

                  Facebook: facebook.com/Education4Liberation
                  Web: http://paulrobesonfreedomschool.org/

                  ~
                  Will you #occupy?
                  ~

                  Message 9 of 13 , May 13, 2013

                    I think that CH means City Hall; i.e. the mayor’s office.

                    Message 10 of 13 , May 13, 2013

                      Thanks. That makes sense. You learn a new thing everyday. Especially when you get paid to sit and do nothing.

                      I'm glad I've at least used my time wisely and not succumbed to watching movies or playing Fruit Ninja. If I didn't have such a passion for public education, I would probably get my law degree here. This Thursday we depose former HR Director Andrew Gordon. Can't wait.

                      383 days in exile and no charges...

                      -Francesco Portelos
                      mrportelos@...
                      educatorfightsback.org
                      Parent
                      Educator
                      UFT Chapter Leader IS 49
                      “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
                      *sent from my Galaxy S3. Please pardon any typos