Re: [nyceducationnews] A personal note

  • nealhugh17
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 3 6:45 AM
      Thanks! So what is the private school you chose? Right now, we are looking at public NY NY HS for our 8th grade son at MSC, among 20% there who did not get assignment for Round 1...
      Thanks to S Ng re Mather HS, etc. And others who have helped.
      W over 90 average and hi 3's, my son received 0 acceptance, among 7,000 in NYC... No neighborhood HS and we live next to Columbia, TC, Bank St, etc. Weird, eh?
      Best, Neal

      Neal H. Hurwitz, NY NY
      ###
      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      From: "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...>
      Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 09:38:33 -0400
      To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>; Classsizematters@Yahoogroups. Com<classsizematters@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: D2 parents<D2parents@yahoogroups.com>; <district3parents@yahoogroups.com>; <changethestakes-open-forum@...>; paa news<PAAnews@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [nyceducationnews] A personal note

      Dear parents:

      I haven’t written much about myself or my family on my blog or in these newsletters; however, I am doing so now because GothamSchools is intent on writing about me, my organization Class Size Matters, and about the fact that my son entered a private high school  this year.  I told their reporter Geoff Decker about this in the fall, in the midst of a longer, off the record conversation about many things, and ever since, whenever I have contacted him about possible stories, he has brought up this issue instead of more important ones.  I myself don’t think it is either particularly interesting or relevant, but since he is intent on writing about the situation, and said he intends to compare me to Michelle Rhee, who also sends one of her children to private school, I decided I should explain why I think our situations are quite different.

      I had kids in NYC public schools for a total of 15 years; my daughter attended public schools from K-6th grade; my son K-8th grade.  My record of advocacy and my continued work in this area should prove my commitment to public school children.  The private schools they attended have the sort of small classes that I believe all children have the right to receive.  It is a parent’s responsibility to find a school that they believe best fits their children’s needs; and for that reason I have never criticized Bloomberg, Bill Gates,  Rhee or anyone for sending their own chil dren to any school, whether private, charter or public. What I have criticized is when powerful and wealthy individuals send their children to schools that feature very small classes, lots of art, music, etc., and little or no standardized testing, but then advocate for an entirely different kind of education for other children.

      The evidence is crystal clear that all kids benefit from smaller classes, but especially poor and minority kids, and yet these children are LEAST likely to have access to them. The efforts of the corporate reformers mentioned above who have advocated for increasing class size, especially in large urban districts, while ensuring that their own children are provided with small classes is wrong.  I will continue my life’s work to try to improve the opportunity for all kids to be provided w ith small classes, as well as adequate and fair funding, an end to high stakes testing, and a voice for parents in decision-making, and to call out hypocrisy wherever I see it.

      Thanks for your support,

      www.classs izematters.org

    • robert bowen
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 3 6:48 AM
        Leonie,

        Thank you for your "life's work"! Your universal concern, for effective education for all, is a respect-worthy example for all educational activist. I remain, with profound appreciation and respect:

        Oneness,
        Rob

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 3 6:50 AM
          I am erratic reader of these emails, but I do applaud Leonie Haimson for her advocacy in working for better schools for all our children as opposed to Bloomberg, Rhee and others who are working to dismantle public education and turn it over to the private sector who will thoroughly destroy public education.  Ms. Haimson sends her kids to schools that all of us should have access to.  I hope that she and all of us continue to fight for schools that respect the multiple ways children learn, nurture childrens' curiosity, allow children to develop human relations with educators, and evaluate student progress in ways that measure their creativity and critical thinking skills.  sincerely, jose alfaro

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 3 6:55 AM
            Freedom of choice is the thing, and getting the best for our children is most important.
            We have been 'lucky' until now w NY public schools... Not the best but good enough and I do not prefer private ed for many reasons...
            There will be resentment Leonie... And I do have a problem w folks who choose private making policies for public school students and their parents...
            Public ed needs to be enhanced in the US. We need the best we can achieve and that is the work we do here.

            Best, Neal. Admirer of your dad when I was at Columbia, student and faculty; supporter of/donor to your CSM.
            ###
            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            From: "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...>
            Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 09:38:33 -0400
            To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>; Classsizematters@Yahoogroups. Com<classsizematters@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
            Cc: D2 parents<D2parents@yahoogroups.com>; <district3parents@yahoogroups.com>; <changethestakes-open-forum@...>; paa news<PAAnews@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

          • May Taliaferrow
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 3 7:10 AM
              Leonie, you have my support.  I have six children that in their developing years, I sent to private school because I wanted smaller classes and the opportunity for them to build a strong foundation.

              My last child, my son, I broke my rule and drank the charter school kool-aid and put him in public school before High School and ended up paying for tutors to ensure he had  the strong academic foundation he would need for college.  As you know I felt I left him in the school to long and should have placed my son first, not advocacy which I got caught up in.

               Due to my advocacy he was not given any academic awards that he was entitled to.  When he left middle school I actively sought a small HS, and chose the NY Harbor school.  As a testament to small schools he is leaving HS early to attend Bard at Simons Rock Early College on an Merit Scholarship.

              Continue your fight for smaller class size as many parents are not aware how much difference it makes academically  and socially.  Continue, to advocate for the child whose parents are limited in time, language  and knowledge, you will be Blessed.

              Continue to do what is right for your family.

              As my daughters say, "Now you Know, nothing is off the record".

              Much Respect, for what you do!

              May Taliaferrow
              PTA President NY Harbor School
              "A spirited mind never stops within itself; it is always aspiring and going beyond its strength"
              -Montaigne

            • katherine_sprowal_cucs@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 3 7:22 AM
                Thank so very much for sharing this. Please know for parents like us your personal decisions for your family have absolutely no bearing on the work you do with us. Class Size Matters continues to give public school parents a voice that empower us!
                Just this year, armed with information and support from Class Size Matters all of the fourth graders in upper Mahattans P.S. 75 went from class sizes of 31 to 36 in the beginning of this school to now 18 to 23! This is just one example of CSM continued passion and commitment to ensure that ALL children receive an equitable education! Again we thank you Leonie Hamison!

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 3 7:26 AM
                  Leonie,

                  Thank you for your ongoing advocacy for ALL of our nation's children. And thank you for your willingness to stand up to the bizarre sorts of smears that politicians and journalists who are allergic to reasoned argument resort to when their positions are indefensible.

                  Anne and I also have one foot outside the public school system, since we are now homeschooling our special-needs son, but while this limits the time we have available to struggle for better education for all, it does not reduce our commitment. Your example and that of so many courageous teachers and scholars who tirelessly "speak truth to power" has been a great source of inspiration for our family.

                  Jeff

                • FJSTATS@...
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 3 7:30 AM

                    Leonie,

                    Your commitment, tenacity, consistency and integrity in the fight for better education for all children (not to mention protecting their privacy) are unassailable and light years beyond reproach.

                    Anyone who knows you knows what you stand for and supports you!

                    Fred
                  • nancy letts
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 3 7:37 AM
                      No worries at this end, Leonie. Those of us who know you, your work, and your unflagging effort to raise awareness about class size (as well as many other educational matters) will always have your back. Michelle Rhee and Leonie Hamison? An oxymoron if I ever heard one.

                      Continued regards,
                      Nancy Letts

                      Executive Producer, Going Public

[...]

                    • J Wedes
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 3 7:51 AM

                        Leonie,

                        You have my unflinching support, and thousands of us are behind you in this intensifying battle for public education.

                        They attack you only when you become a threat to them, to the education privateers who are systematically deconstructing every semblance of public good in schools today. The mayor calls you out by name, accusing you of "trying to create jobs for teachers". The press looks to you as a voice of opposition to the unchallenged assumptions of the corporate reform movement.

                        You are in the ring now. With boxing gloves tied on tightly.

                        And this radical educator has your back.

                        Justin Wedes
                        Educator & Activist
                        Co-principal, Paul Robeson Freedom School

                        Twitter: @FreedomSchoolBK
                        Facebook: facebook.com/Education4Liberation
                        Web: http://paulrobesonfreedomschool.org/

                        ~
                        Will you #occupy?
                        ~

                        On Apr 3, 2013 10:34 AM, "May Taliaferrow" <mtaliaferrow@...> wrote:

[...]

                      • Patrick Sullivan
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 3 8:03 AM

                          It would be great if people could post their comments on Lenny's blog post at

                          http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-personal-note.html

                          Gotham is heavily funded by reform advocates and their article may be an attempt to "balance" the criticism of Michelle Rhee.

                          Patrick

                          On Apr 3, 2013 10:52 AM, "J Wedes" <jwedes@...> wrote:

[...]

                        • Jonathan
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 3 8:43 AM
                            Thank you for writing.

                            You certainly have my unwavering support. I suppose that that probably goes for everyone on this list, no matter their views on other topics.

                            I do have questions about Gotham Schools.  For another day. Sorry they did this.

                            Jonathan

[...]

                          • John M. Beam

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 3 10:56 AM
                                Dear Leonie,
                                        whenever people ask me about schools i explain my views as a teacher, as a citizen of nyc and as a parent
                                        as a parent we must find the best spot for our children
                                        people like you who continue to advocate for a decent education for all children deserve the thanks of all those involved in the public schools
                                        i have been involved as a teacher and volunteer in nyc public schools from 1969 to 2012   my last child graduates high school this year giving me a total of 42
                                        years   as a parent  with children in the system      grand total  85 years and yes i learned CLASS SIZE MATTERS

                                                                                                                                                                                                          joan o'mahoney

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 3 11:13 AM
                                  You have always been an advocate for parents and children. Your personal decision regarding where your children attend school, has no bearing on your work, integrity and ethics.

                                  You will always have the support of so many of us. Keep up the good fight.

                                  Matt

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 3 4:29 PM
                                    Thanks to all of you, for your tremendous words of support, both publicly and privately.

                                    The story is up: Leonie Haimson exits public school parenting but not advocacy | GothamSchools http://shar.es/dZv5X

                                    Let me know what you think; it would also be great if you could leave a comment.

                                    Make a tax-deductible contribution to Class SizeMatters now!

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 3 4:44 PM
                                      Hi Leonie, I'm in the midst of composing my comment at this very moment. I'm so angry that I can barely write! This is nothing but a shameless attack piece from a reporter desperate for a story -- never mind the fact that he's unethically used "off the record" info to harass you. As soon as I post my comment (glad to see many other supporters already have), I'm taking to Twitter!

                                      Thanks for all you do! And a personal thanks for inspiring me to refocus my professional efforts on the intersection of poverty and education (am hoping to launch a new blog in the next month or so). No one should mess with Leonie -- you have far too many friends and allies!

                                      Nancy

                                      On 4/3/2013 7:29 PM, Leonie Haimson wrote:

                                      Thanks to all of you, for your tremendous words of support, both publicly and privately.

                                      The story is up: Leonie Haimson exits public school parenting but not advocacy | GothamSchools http://shar.es/dZv5X

                                      Let me know what you think; it would also be great if you could leave a comment.

                                      Make a tax-deductible contribution to Class SizeMatters now!

                                    • Victoria Frye
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 3 6:56 PM
                                        Leonie, you're a hero, an inspiration and the smartest one out there.  We are all behind you!
                                        Best
                                        Tory

                                        Sent from my iPad

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 3 10:03 PM
                                          As usual, NYC Educator nails it.

                                          Is Gotham Schools Comparing Apples to Reformy Windbags?

                                          How much longer does Gotham Schools have to be viewed as a journalistic enterprise rather than a propaganda platform for its funders?

                                          --
                                          Have a good day

                                          Norm Scott
                                          normsco@...
                                          917-992-3734

                                          On Twitter:  @normscott1

                                          Education Notes Online
                                          ednotesonline.blogspot.com/

                                          GEM, Grassroots Education Movement
                                          gemnyc.org

                                          The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman - Now Online
                                          http://gemnyc.org/our-film/

                                          Education Editor, The Wave
                                          http://www.rockawave.com/

                                          Norms's Robotics blog
                                          http://normsrobotics.blogspot.com/
                                        • John M. Beam
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 4 6:02 AM
                                            They certainly throw in an apples/orange stat comparison:  adults per kid in a private school vs. kids per class in public schools.  Many DOE schools would look great if the former were the standard.  jmb

                                            At 01:03 AM 4/4/2013 -0400, you wrote:

                                            As usual, NYC Educator nails it.

                                            NYC Educator
[...]

                                          • moody.molly
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 4 6:31 AM
                                              Here's the full text for the Wall Street Journal article written on this subjet by Lisa Fleiser:

                                              Activist's 'Private' Issue
                                              Article
                                              Comments (2)
                                              MORE IN NEW YORK »

                                              By LISA FLEISHER

                                              The New York City Department of Education's most prominent parent activist found herself in an uncomfortable position Wednesday—defending her surprising decision to send her children to private school.

                                              Leonie Haimson, 58 years old, who lives in Greenwich Village, has been the most vocal gadfly pushing back against Bloomberg administration education policies she says hurt schools.

                                              At news conferences and protests against standardized testing, charter schools or mayoral control, she frequently appears in front of the microphone, often on the steps of City Hall.

                                              As executive director of a group called Class Size Matters, which she formed in 2000, Ms. Haimson has sued to prevent school closures, launched a large parent listserv and appeared on national cable news and in newspapers—bolstered by her identity as a public-school parent.

                                              And she's criticized people like former Washington, D.C., schools chief Michelle Rhee and President Barack Obama for sending their children to private schools with small class sizes while not pushing for the same priorities for public schools.

                                              But on Wednesday, she wrote a brief post on the blog she co-founded, NYC Public School Parents, disclosing that her status changed this fall when her family decided that her son, like her daughter, would attend private high school. Ms. Haimson said she was compelled to write the post, despite reservations about discussing her personal life, because the education-news blog GothamSchools.org was working on a story about her, which it published late Wednesday afternoon. She said she didn't want to discuss personal reasons for her decision, but she did say private schools offered the small class sizes public schools don't.

                                              "In schools in general, middle school is a very hard time, especially because class sizes tend to grow very large," she said. "It's no surprise that kids struggle, and some of them become disengaged and fall behind in middle school. It's not a surprise. The system is set up to fail most kids."

                                              The revelation illustrated the difficulty faced by groups on both sides of the political divide that claim to represent parents, as well as the question of whether personal choices should have a bearing on public advocacy or decision-making.

                                              "Leonie has to do what is best for her kids," said Joe Williams, who as head of advocacy group Democrats for Education Reform has often clashed with Ms. Haimson. "The only problem is that she keeps choosing to defend the same awful schools she would never allow her kids to attend."

                                              Ms. Haimson said she wasn't being hypocritical because she has supported other politicians who sent their children to private school while continuing to push public-school policies that she supports.

                                              "I don't consider it a litmus test," she said. "What I do consider a litmus test is whether you're morally consistent about what you believe New York City public-school kids should get in relation to those factors or conditions that you want for your own child."

                                              Some of Ms. Haimson's friends and foes have known for a while that her daughter attended private school after sixth grade and her son would go after eighth grade.

                                              She declined to name the private school.

                                              Parents and teachers on Wednesday posted messages of support for Ms. Haimson on her listserv and blog, saying that they believe she can still be an effective advocate.

                                              Former city schools Chancellor Joel Klein, a frequent target of Ms. Haimson's, knew but decided against raising the issue publicly, according to someone familiar with his thinking. Mr. Klein's reasoning was it would have been unfair, not to mention unseemly, for a government bureaucracy to go after an individual, the person said.

                                              Mr. Klein, who now works for News Corp., which owns The Wall Street Journal, declined to comment through a spokesman.

                                              Erin Shaw, a spokeswoman for Ms. Rhee's advocacy group StudentsFirst, said it was "unfortunate that others want to exercise choice for their own kids, but are working hard to make sure other parents don't have the same options, trapping other peoples' kids in failing schools."

                                              Even critics acknowledge that Ms. Haimson fought tirelessly for smaller class sizes and against policies she believes hurt public schools, such as giving charter schools space in public buildings.

                                              "I used to say to my people, if any of you worked half as hard as Leonie, we're going to be fine," said David Cantor, a former city schools spokesman.

                                              Ms. Haimson said she was puzzled at to why her decision was being talked about.

                                              "I'm really not sure why people are so interested, except that some people are going to use it against me," she said.

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 4 6:32 AM
                                                And here's the link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323646604578400942914289264.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

                                                --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, "moody.molly" <mollya.moody@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                > >

                                                > > Leonie Haimson
                                                > >
                                                > > Executive Director
                                                > >
                                                > > Class Size Matters
                                                > >
                                                > > 124 Waverly Pl.
                                                > >
                                                > > New York, NY 10011
                                                > >
                                                > > 212-674-7320
                                                > >
                                                > > <mailto:classsizematters@> leonie@
                                                > >
                                                > > <http://www.classsizematters.org/> www.classsizematters.org
                                                > >
                                                > > <http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com/>
                                                > > http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com
                                                > >
                                                > > <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leonie-haimson>
                                                > > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leonie-haimson
                                                > >

                                                > > Follow me on twitter @leoniehaimson
                                                > >

                                                > > Make a <http://www.nycharities.org/donate/c_donate.asp?CharityCode=1757>
                                                > > tax-deductible contribution to Class Size Matters now!
                                                > >

                                                > > Subscribe to Class Size Matters news by emailing
                                                > > <mailto:classsizematters-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>
                                                > > classsizematters-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                                > >
                                                > > Subscribe to NYC education news by emailing

                                              • Leslee Grey

[...]

                                                  =
                                                  Leslee Grey, Ph.D.
                                                  Assistant Professor
                                                  Queens College
                                                  City University of New York
                                                  leslee.grey@...
                                                • Diane Ravitch

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 16 5:16 PM
                                                      Leonie

                                                      Your support of public education is genuine and your willingness to stand front and center on the many educational issues is unmatched.  I appreciate you and I hope this will not deter you from the important work that you do.

                                                      In regards to parent choice, every parent must advocate for the educational need of their child, that is our responsibility and anything less we would then be accused of educational neglect. Every parent in every corner of this city advocates to the best of their ability for their child so I hope you never apologize for that.  Your personal decisions regarding your family should not be debated.

                                                      I stand in support of you.

                                                      Monica Major

                                                      Sent from my iPad