more on Beverly Hall

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013

      According to people I trust who knew her in NYC, Hall was a good person. If anything, she was corrupted by the system.  Also, Atlanta schools made real gains in achievement on the NAEPS, which, according to experts, are extremely difficult if not impossible to cheat on.

      Most everything they are accusing Hall of could be said of many if not most large district leaders, including DOE.  The RICO indictment has the following statement:

      “Beverly Hall placed unreasonable emphasis on achieving targets, protected & rewarded those who achieved targets through heating; terminated principals who failed to achieve targets; and ignores suspicious CRCT score gains at schools within APS.  As a result, cheating became more and more prevalent w/in APS…”

      Couldn’t the same be said about Klein, Walcott, Rhee and many other district leaders throughout the country?

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
        I agree, Leonie.  Although that doesn't excuse Beverly but it tells us a lot about the times we are living in.  It leads many of us to think cheating is really the moral things to do.  Too much rests on one tool--and that invites cheating.

        If I leave a lots of ten dollar bills on my desk when I leave the room--am I not guilty of inviting theft?

        People's whose livelihoods are at stake...it amazes me that anyone believes any of the data they get from school systems.   Sad, maddening and worse.
        -----
        Deborah Meier

        Note: latest book!! Playing For Keeps (TC Press) by D. Meier, Brenda Engel and Beth Taylor

        NOTE: new e-mail address.  deborahmeier@...

        For more information see website:  http://www.deborahmeier.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
          I do strongly object that the cheating made them $! ...
          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          From: Deborah Meier <deborahmeier@...>
          Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 14:56:32 -0400
          To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [nyceducationnews] more on Beverly Hall

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
            Leonie - I worked for Dr. Hall as a middle school principal. We were the "outcasts" that were appointed to CSD 27 after the school board was removed and replaced with trustees. Cole Genn had been the Superintendent who wore a wire that led to the indictment of a few board members.

            The political community and local union leaders gave her a hard time as they did with me. We were not home grown and had not worked for or contributed to school board members reelection campaigns.

            I found her to be fair, demanding and professional. I know nothing about her Atlanta issues, but we can not continue to live by data and unreasonable pressure and not expect to perish by data and unreasonable pressure.

            Matt Bromme
            COO Bromme Associates LLC
            Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
              The Superintendent in charge must take the responsibility for what goes on in her district. Data is very important to assess whether students are achieving or not. The problem is not with testing, but with unethical educators who care more about their self interests than whether students are achieving.

               In NYC we have an education system where merit and achievement are secondary to social promotion.It is all about making the schools look good rather than educating our students.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 30, 2013
                ... Yeah... Meanwhile I am trying to find a good HS for my 8th grade son... TY, Neal
                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                From: calantjis@...
                Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:14:25 -0400 (EDT)
                To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
                    I worked in Atlanta under Hall's leadership before moving to NYC.  Perhaps she was corrupted by the system but as I stated in the article http://www.ajc.com/news/news/the-art-of-war-at-atlanta-public-schools/nW74q/  she did rule with an iron fist not unlike Rhee and other leaders throughout the country.

                    I don't feel sorry for Hall because she outright denied involvement and/or knowledge of cheating.  When the report implicating 178 teachers was released, Hall was nowhere to be found.  The local media finally tracked her down in Hawaii.  When the reporter approached her for a statement she pretended to have lost her voice.

                    On the other hand, I recognize that APS is not a special case and that this high stakes testing regime is an unfortunate staple of US education.  So why is Atlanta front and center?  Many say that Hall, a black woman publicly dismissed the authority of then governor and southern white good ol' boy Sonny Perdue by vehemently denying the suspicions and bringing in Caveon to "prove" him wrong.  Perdue answered by bringing in over 50 GBI agents who concluded that 178 teachers were involved in cheating.  When questioned, I specifically recall most of the questions being slanted to implicate Hall.  It was obvious they were looking to take her down.  Look at the severity of the charges.  I'm still assessing my feelings on whether the punishment fits the alleged crimes.

                    Let me also say that all 178 of those teachers were not guilty as the GBI & media would have you believe. The GBI came in and used heavy intimidation tactics to get a lot of coerced confessions.  They removed their guns from holsters and placed them directly in front of teachers, they berated teachers, insisting upon their guilt and interpreted their emotional testimony as guilt. All sorts of false accusations and ridiculous conclusions were made in the initial investigative report.  I noted that they accused Hall of intimidating but the GBI used intimidation tactics to get confessions, false or not.  I thought this was an injustice and I suspect there weren't nearly as many folks involved as we've been made to believe.  But I guess it had to be big to make national news.  It pissed me off because I had close friends and family named in the report who were falsely accused.  To explain the quote below there were innocent teachers who resigned while a handful of others successfully fought the charges to win their jobs back.

                    "The indictment said some school employees were not charged because of “their confessions, cooperation and truthful testimony.” It does not, however, address which educators, if any, assisted the grand jury. Why some top administrators were charged, but not others, remains unclear."

                    There are waaay too many similarities between Hall and Rhee.  But Hall is more small time, not the ed reform media darling that is Rhee.  Hall can be sacrificed but oh not Rhee.  The ones with the resources to take her down have too much to lose if she goes down.  I wonder what her PR person has come up with to separate her from this.

                    - Carmen Dixon

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
                        Carmen, thank you! And what I have learned from these many years with the NY Times, etc. is DO NOT believe
                        a thing you read but try to get info from DIRECT sources, which you are now among on this so thanks again!

                        It is indeed quite amazing to me (since Columbia in 1968) that what is in the "news" and articles is what the
                        owners of the media wish to convey, period.

                        Cheers, Neal

                        Neal H. Hurwitz, NY NY

                        Neal H. Hurwitz
                        NY, NY