Board of Ed elections

  • Susan Crawford
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2013
      The PEP is technically still a "board of education."  In the interest of restoring democracy to the process, and thus parity with every other school district in NY State, I suggest that each borough elect its own school board members, on election day in November.  No more political appointments.  After all ... the idea is to take politics out of education, right?

      Subsidiary questions would be -- how many members? how many from each borough?   A flat number, or proportional to the borough's population?  Or the the borough's K-12 public school population?

      Susan
    • Ellen
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2013
        I think there's a problem with that. NYS sees NYC as one LEA. The central board or panel, which ever the case may be, still gets the money and then splits it according to schools. I think up to 90% of each school's budget still goes to staffing.
        Most districts vote in their boards and vote on the budgets as well. We are a dependent district so we wouldn't even have the chance to vote on how the money is allocated as the central offices set up the expenditure formulae.
        There'd be a lot more lobbying to change the way we are structured besides just lobbying to end mayoral control. And not one of the crop of current candidates wants to lobby for that!

        --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, Susan Crawford wrote:

        > The PEP is technically still a "board of education." In the interest of restoring democracy to the process, and thus parity with every other school district in NY State, I suggest that each borough elect its own school board members, on election day in November. No more political appointments. After all ... the idea is to take politics out of education, right?
        >

        > Subsidiary questions would be -- how many members? how many from each borough? A flat number, or proportional to the borough's population? Or the the borough's K-12 public school population?
        >

        > Susan

      • Falik - MSN
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2013
          Can't be any worse than now.

          If members are elected, I think that it is critical, as suggested, that the elections are included on the November ballot instead of being a separate election that only insiders attend.

          Eugene Falik

          Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:52 PM
          Subject: [nyceducationnews] Board of Ed elections