Fwd: Don't Miss the People's Recovery Summit this Weekend - Fri 2/1 Thru Sun 2/3

  • J Wedes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2013

      Hope to see you there!

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: "Occupy Sandy Volunteers" <sandyvolunteers@...>
      Date: Jan 31, 2013 10:40 AM
      Subject: Don't Miss the People's Recovery Summit this Weekend - Fri 2/1 Thru Sun 2/3
      To: <jwedes@...>

      Occupy Sandy Recovery
      Via InterOccupy.netView Online

      Over the past three months, we've seen people from all over the city and the country come together in response to Sandy. We turned entire churches into "holy warehouses" of donated items and distributed them to dozens of "hubs" all over the city, working shoulder-to-shoulder with community leaders and residents to care for the most vulnerable among us.

      On Feb. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd we’re organizing the People's Recovery Summit, a gathering of residents, volunteers, organizers, performers, and community leaders ready to strategize on the recovery effort.

      We hope to springboard an equitable and sustainable rebuilding process with workshops, trainings, and discussions on grassroots organizing, economic justice, environmental sustainability and much, much more.  See our Summit Goals below.

      EVENT INFO:

      People's Recovery Summit
      Feb 1st - 3rd,  2013
      9am - 7pm Daily

      FREE

      Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner will be provided.

      Nightly entertainment begins at 8pm

      Church of St. Luke and St. Matthew

      520 Clinton Avenue

      (between Fulton Street and Atlantic Avenue)

      TRAINS:  C and G trains or 15 min walk from Barclays Center (2,3,4,5,B,D,N,Q, and R trains)

      Visit our website for more information!  http://summit.peoplesrecovery.org/

      PEOPLE'S RECOVERY SUMMIT NEEDS VOLUNTEERS

      If you have any spare time at all, please sign up on this form to volunteer!

      Our Summit Goals are as follows:

      ~ Connect environmental + economic justice issues and concerns.

      ~ Better understand what the City/State/Federal agencies are/aren't doing, and what we need them to do.

      ~ Present a “Recovery Statement”  for equitable/accountable development based on Human Rights and Environmental justice.

      ~ Further develop a toolkit of best practices for organizers + affected residents.

      ~ Debate the role and relationships of a social movement to community organizing and post disaster recovery.

      Together, we can restore power to the people and build back better!

      Solidarity,

      The Peoples Recovery Summit Planning Committee

      Forward to a friend Facebook Twitter Google+ Email

      You received this email because you signed up to receive information from InterOccupy or one of its partners. Learn more and connect by visiting our web site www.interoccupy.net and please join/like the Interoccupy Facebook Page.

      If you would like to unsubscribe click here.
    • J Wedes
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2013
        Here's the schedule for the Weekend's Summit workshops and activities!

        Hope to see you there!

        --
        Justin Wedes
        Educator & Activist