Fwd: You're Invited!

  • susan.cnyc
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2013

      New York State is facing an education crisis, and nothing is more important than our advocacy.  Our voices were heard in Albany when Governor Cuomo's State of the State committed to successful education strategies including full-day Pre-K and expanded learning time.  But the details will not be available until the state budget is available, and our schools have seen far too many cuts with more anticipated.   We need proven educational strategies. We need equitable and adequate funding. We need a powerful and well organized range of voices demanding a quality education for every student.

      On February 11, the Alliance for Quality Education is sponsoring a major policy conference, Averting Educational Crisis: Successful Strategies for New York in Albany.  It will bring together policy experts, parents, students, teachers, school leaders and policy makers to outline successful strategies.
      Your voice is needed! Register here.
      It is imperative that we continue to push forward proven-to-work programs, like Pre-K.
      When: Feb. 11 from 10:30am-4:30pm
      Where: New York State Museum, Albany
      We are fortunate to have as a keynote speaker for this conference Dr. Michael Fullan. He is Professor Emeritus of the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at the University of Toronto and is a worldwide authority on educational reform. Fullan advises policymakers and local leaders around the world in helping to achieve the moral purpose of all children learning. Fullan is currently Special Advisor to the Premier and Minister of Education in Ontario. He designed Ontario‚Äôs education reform system which went from ineffective to being among the top in the world.  In his work, he offers a clear plan on what needs to be done to have system-wide, real, successful education reform.
      We will also be leading workshops led by academics, teachers, parents and activists. These workshops aim to open dialogue around the key issues that are affecting New York State public education. In the registration you will be asked to sign-up for only one of the workshops. The workshops include:
      • Educational Opportunity versus Insolvency (investing in the programs that prepare students for college and careers)
      • Solutions not Suspensions (inside look into school climate and restorative justice practices)
      • Ready for Kindergarten, Ready for College (early childhood education: laying the foundation for the future)
      It is your passion and dedication that has pushed Pre-K to the forefront, and it will be your continued activism that will improve education in New York State.
      See you at the conference,
      Billy Easton
      Executive Director, Alliance for Quality Education

      Averting Educational Crisis:

      Successful Strategies for NY

      Feb. 11 - Albany, NY

      Keynote Speaker: