Republican Party Platform Calls For End Of Federal Student Loans, Support For For-Profit Colleges

  • J Wedes
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2012
      If you haven't yet had a chance to look through the GOP platform, I highly recommend perusing it. The relevant sections on K12 education and college education are here and here, respectively. On student loans:

      The federal government should not be in the business of originating student loans; however, it should serve as an insurance guarantor for the private sector as they offer loans to students. Private sector participation in student financing should be welcomed. Any regulation that drives tuition costs higher must be reevaluated to balance its worth against its negative impact on students and their parents.

      One thing everyone agrees on is that there is a higher education bubble growing out of control in this country, and that bubble will soon burst. Student loan debt has now exceeded credit card debt, and is not dischargeable even in bankruptcy. The Occupy Wall Street #StrikeDebt committee is planting the seeds for a Debtors Union, and recently there is increasing interest in a full-on Debtors Strike (read my take on that here)

      As the say, "Something's gotta give..."

      Republican Party Platform Calls For End Of Federal Student Loans, Support For For-Profit Colleges

      --
      Justin Wedes
      Educator & Activist

      Twitter: @FreedomSchoolBK