Re: re question] Insanity Reigns: Priority Designation of Schools Will Lead to Further Destruction of Neighborhood Schools and Privatization

  • stanleymng@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2012
      Having a HS primarily made of 'Asian kids' doesn't mean it will not end up on the list of 'Priority Schools'. The International HS at Lafayette (39% Asian), John Dewey HS (40% Asian) and Franklin Delano Roosevelt HS (43% Asian) are examples of this.

      Also, not all whites and/or Asian kids are 'wealthy'. Brooklyn Tech HS (60% Asian, 21% White) according to the NYS for the school year 2010-2011 is 51% Title I (and 12% Reduced Lunch).

      --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...> wrote:

      ..."Of course nothing makes any sense here about "rewarding" schools that primarily are made up of wealthy white and Asian kids and/or require entrance exams so they can further replicate, like Anderson and Stuy."....
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2012
        "Does anyone know if King looked at 5 year grad rates as well as 4 year rates when putting together the focus/priority HS lists as he promised to do at the Assembly hearings w/ the NCLB waivers? "

        First he asked his charter friends where they would like to locate their future school - thinking ahead to the next lift of the charter cap.
        Then looked at the optimal places to put charter schools.
        And he looked at the UFT "win" in the court case on the 24 schools.
        King is executing a political not an educational plan.

        Norm

        On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Leonie Haimson <leonie@...> wrote:

        Does anyone know if King looked at 5 year grad rates as well as 4 year rates when putting together the focus/priority HS lists as he promised to do at the Assembly hearings w/ the NCLB waivers?

        Many NYC high schls like Columbus etc. justifiably complained that they were being punished for taking in a lot of newly immigrant kids who didn’t even speak English when entering the school.  Of course six years would be even better for schools w/ a lot of ELL kids.

        Of course nothing makes any sense here about “rewarding” schools that primarily are made up of wealthy white and Asian kids and/or require entrance exams so they can further replicate, like Anderson and Stuy.  Is that the federal/state answer to eliminating the achievement gap?

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2012
          Are "Asian kids" actually Asian---por American?   We use this kind of terminology very loosely.
          -----
          Deborah Meier

          Note: latest book!! Playing For Keeps (TC Press) by D. Meier, Brenda Engel and Beth Taylor

          NOTE: new e-mail address.  deborahmeier@...

          For more information see website:  http://www.deborahmeier.com

          On Sep 1, 2012, at 7:22 AM, stanleymng@... wrote:

          Having a HS primarily made of 'Asian kids' doesn't mean it will not end up on the list of 'Priority Schools'. The International HS at Lafayette (39% Asian), John Dewey HS (40% Asian) and Franklin Delano Roosevelt HS (43% Asian) are examples of this.

          Also, not all whites and/or Asian kids are 'wealthy'. Brooklyn Tech HS (60% Asian, 21% White) according to the NYS for the school year 2010-2011 is 51% Title I (and 12% Reduced Lunch).

          --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...> wrote:

          ..."Of course nothing makes any sense here about "rewarding" schools that primarily are made up of wealthy white and Asian kids and/or require entrance exams so they can further replicate, like Anderson and Stuy."....

        • Deborah Meier

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2012
              Many... the parents come here young...
              Just as kids are in church groups and so on, a lot of the new Asian-Americans
              place their children with ongoing and socially-active and after-school/evening tutoring/
              enrichment/test prep... and that is how Stuyvesant is 72% Asian-American,
              incl Chinese (and Korean) mostly...
              The junior with the cell phone at Stuy in the media 'cheating scandal' is Bangladesh background...
              a popular photographer at the school... it was a prank! dumb, stupid... but more a prank than cheating
              on the disdained, "easy" Regents... a big mistake but not what you have read...

              How many got most of their K-12 education in the USA?

              Neal H. Hurwitz
              NY, NY

              :-)

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1, 2012
                Neal:

                You are wrong and your data is in the past. Many of the current parents are recent immigrants. I've attended and helped out at Camp Stuy for the past 3 years (including this past Wednesday). I've attended the Stuy PA meeting and parent teacher conference so I see the parents in the school.

                In the school year 2006-2007 - Stuy had a Title I population of 17%.

                https://reportcards.nysed.gov/files/2008-09/AOR-2009-310200011475.pdf

                For school 2010-2011 - Stuy Title I populaton went up over 40% - Stuy received over $1.5M+ ARRA Title I $$$$

                http://stuyspectator.com/pdf/100-09-11112010.pdf

                Stuy 72% Asian> don't forget to mention the Indians, Pakistanis, Vietnamese, Yemenese, Palestinian and other kids from some of the Arabic countries.

                I also like to know what data source you used to determine that most of the current Asian kids at Stuy are Chinese (and Korean) ?

                Stanley Ng
                Stuyvesant HS parent
                NYC

              • nealhugh@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 1, 2012
                  Stan--- thanks... Call me pls 212 222 9112. Neal
                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  From: stanleymng@...
                  Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 20:14:08 -0000
                  To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 1, 2012
                    Neal:

                    I don't have any privacy now so I may call later 2night (or tomorrow).

                    I wanted to add: Your comments:

                    ..."Just as kids are in church groups and so on, a lot of the new Asian-Americans place their children with ongoing and socially-active and after school/evening tutoring/enrichment/test prep..."

                    These type of generalization is a "SLAP IN THE FACE" to the Asian families at Stuyvesant HS, especially those who do not attend church OR are involved in any church group (ie: wide paint brush).

                    IMO: The Executive Director of "The Campaign for Stuyvesant HS" should not be making statements like this.

                    Stanley Ng
                    Parent of a upcoming Stuyvesant HS Junior

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 1, 2012
                      Stanley--- YOU misunderstood what I was saying, obviously... So why not ASK rather than attack? ... Huh? :)
                      Thanks, Neal. Involved w, active at, Stuyvesant HS since 1957! And even more since 1998! W 6 children in NY, NY public schools since 1974. :)
                      212 222 9112
                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                      From: stanleymng@...
                      Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 21:28:57 -0000
                      To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 1, 2012
                        Neal:

                        .."So why not ASK rather than attack? ... Huh? :)"

                        What's to ASK ?

                        As I pointed out, everything you posted is in you own words - IMO: "self-evident".

                        You could have just reply via a proper public response to my posting so all can see rather stoop to SECRECY by asking me to call you and "sweeping it under a rug".

                        Since you want to brag about being active since 1998, one can see how successful you been in helping the school.

                        http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303343404577516780020579506.html

                        Stanley Ng
                        Father of Three in Specialized

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 1, 2012
                          Stanley, just call me. TY, Neal
                          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                          From: stanleymng@...
                          Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 23:27:27 -0000
                          To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 1, 2012
                            I am not bragging and we have been very successful. TY, Neal
                            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                            From: stanleymng@...
                            Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 23:27:27 -0000
                            To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 1, 2012
                              RE: Stuyvesant HS
                              www.ourstrongband.org
                              For those interested... :)
                              Neal H. Hurwitz
                              Executive Director

                              And the new Principal seems to be a gift from god(s)! Thank you!
                              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                              From: nealhugh@...
                              Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 23:42:00 +0000
                              To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com<nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>

                              From: stanleymng@...
                              Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 23:27:27 -0000
                              To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 1, 2012
                                As an "put-sider"I wish I could figure out what you two--plus others?--are arguing about!

                                By the way, re another Post.  Is the expression "yellow" (vs brave) have its origins in American racism re Asians?  let's think about it's use.

                                Deb
                                -----
                                Deborah Meier

                                Note: latest book!! Playing For Keeps (TC Press) by D. Meier, Brenda Engel and Beth Taylor

                                NOTE: new e-mail address.  deborahmeier@...

                                For more information see website:  http://www.deborahmeier.com

                                Neal:

                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 1, 2012
                                  Outside!  I wonder what a put-sider might be.  See below.
                                  -----

                                  On Sep 1, 2012, at 9:39 PM, Deborah Meier wrote:

                                  As an "put-sider"I wish I could figure out what you two--plus others?--are arguing about!

                                  By the way, re another Post.  Is the expression "yellow" (vs brave) have its origins in American racism re Asians?  let's think about it's use.

                                  Deb
                                  -----
                                  Deborah Meier

                                  Note: latest book!! Playing For Keeps (TC Press) by D. Meier, Brenda Engel and Beth Taylor

                                  NOTE: new e-mail address.  deborahmeier@...

                                  For more information see website:  http://www.deborahmeier.com

                                  On Sep 1, 2012, at 7:27 PM, stanleymng@... wrote:

                                  Neal:

                                  .."So why not ASK rather than attack? ... Huh? :)"

                                  What's to ASK ?

                                  As I pointed out, everything you posted is in you own words - IMO: "self-evident".

                                  You could have just reply via a proper public response to my posting so all can see rather stoop to SECRECY by asking me to call you and "sweeping it under a rug".

                                  Since you want to brag about being active since 1998, one can see how successful you been in helping the school.

                                  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303343404577516780020579506.html

                                  Stanley Ng
                                  Father of Three in Specialized

                                  --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, nealhugh@... wrote:

                                  > Stanley--- YOU misunderstood what I was saying, obviously... So why not ASK rather than attack? ... Huh? :)
                                  > Thanks, Neal. Involved w, active at, Stuyvesant HS since 1957! And even more since 1998! W 6 children in NY, NY public schools since 1974. :)
                                  > 212 222 9112
                                  > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                  • Marge
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 3, 2012
                                      FYI - I googled the origin of "yellow" as a synonym for cowardly and cannot find a definitive origin for this, but it seems it could be a shortening of "yellow-bellied." Here are two theories on the origin (not racist):

                                      "A site on figures of speech has a theory on the metaphor's origin. The site says it has nothing to do with a person's perceived color. Rather, it's a nod to the legendary yellowbelly lizard, a reptile apparently not known for its intestinal fortitude (aka "guts"). The story goes that when confronted, the yellowbelly lizard "exits on its belly as soon as possible."

                                      Sounds reasonable, but the Straight Dope believes the expression began as a medical term. Way back when, the human body was thought to have four distinct fluids -- blood, phlegm, black bile, and yellow bile. According to medieval medicine, yellow bile "made you peevish, choleric, irascible."