Irma Zardoya

  • Patrick Sullivan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 3:29 AM

      Her name from the Cuomo commission rang a bell.   After her retirement, she continued in a number of ed positions.  One (see below) was a potential conflict of interest.  People also pointed out to me potential issues with working while collecting a BOE pension.

      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 3:41 AM
        thank you Patrick!
        BB

        Message 3 of 3 , May 1 5:19 AM
          Good catch, Patrick!

           The folks who coined "Children First" are actually the group that puts "6-Figure+ Bureaucrats First".

           I can give you a looooonnnnnggg list of folks who have jumped from some kind of administrative gig to a vendor in a PSO (private) a network, and back under the Klein-issued double dipping waivers.

           The so called Children First Networks are a hotbed of actual and potential conflicts of interest, self interest, cronyism and even nepotism.

          Like any organism, their primary mission is to gain power- financial, market share, political - in order to be self perpetuating.

           Their mission to support schools is quickly superseded by their need to survive, thrive, gain more clients, etc.
           Any dirty tricks and bad practices are hard to catch, and harder to out, since these invisible, now virtual ,equivalent of the old district offices are hidden and unaccountable.

          District offices have a bad rap, but just wait until folks look closely under the hood of these CFN's. I have a feeling we ain't seen nothin, yet!

          Who among us, astute students all of the NYC DoE madness, can tell us:

          How many CFN networks there are?
          How many people are employed, on our dime, in these invisible bureaucracies?
          How many are DoE employees and how many get their paychecks from a not-for-profit "partnership" organization?
          How many of those are retired DoE bigwigs simultaneously collecting generous pensions?

          How happy are the "client" principals with their networks? How would the tax payer or school community know?
          Do the school leaders feel the network adequately "supports" them with the DoE's numerous build-the plane- as it-flies initiatives,
          such as phase 2 reforms for special education (yes, there is one dedicated special ed person for this in each network, who knew)?

          or budget balancing acts as the funding scheme changes, enrollment is manipulated and a recession shrinks resources?

          or DoE's wrong headed and largely punitive accountability measures (which networks help schools get high marks and which are accountable for poor grades, closing schools, lowered enrollment, SINI and SURR status, lousy quality reviews, etc)?
          Who is keeping tabs on the middlemen charged with "support"?

          Where is the accountability, if a principal does not like the network's services (other than the right to change networks, like switching from Sprint to Verizon)?

           What is the role of the network when the a school is not performing?
          How is the network held accountable?
          When do we get to see their results and names in the papers?
          How can we know if a network is working miracles, or tanking schools, or doing a so-so job?
          What is the VALUE ADDED of the network? How is it measured?

          How much are these networks paid?
          Do they all charge the same fees?
          Are the fees levied from each school budget? or does some funding come from central?

          Do the networks have any discretionary funds that they can opt to pass on to schools in the form of direct funding, or other resources, that can help schools w/specific issues and problems?
          Do networks work on providing grants and other outside revenue streams to schools, especially high needs schools?
          Do they encourage wealthier schools to leverage parent funds to plug budget gaps?

          How much do the leaders make annually?
          How many 6 figured administrators are hidden in these networks?
          What is the total cost of these networks to the tax payer?

          How do we know the virtual network system is "more efficient" than the old district offices?
          How can a network spread across 4-5 boroughs be more efficient than a geographically based local support system?
          Do networks participate in their own dance of the lemons, hiring principals into their ranks and then placing their own network personnel into schools, as a way to keep the sale, keep it in the family?

          Is it good management to have a rating officer (the Dist Sup) be entirely disconnected from the supporting supervisor/client that is the NL?
          When a school leader is charged with criminal or unethical practices is the network investigated or held accountable in anyway?
           Do the networks have any auditing authority?
          If a network becomes aware of any illegal or immoral practices at a client school what is their incentive to blow the whistle?

          Do the turnaround schools still have their own network as was set up a year ago for the transformation EPOs?

          How many SLTs are meeting and deciding to retain or jettison their current networks?
           How many SLTs know their network personnel? Or that they even employ a network?
          Or that each network has a family engagement staff member?

          I am sure others have additional questions to add,
           but does anyone have any answers?

          Lisa Donlan

          To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
          From: patk.j.sullivan@...