PreK

  • Dunn yahoo
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2012
      Had a meeting with a principal at a public school today. We discussed the enrollment problems (same story - can't enroll out of zone kids even though they have room).

      BUT she told me something that I didn't know. That hasn't been getting any press, to my knowledge.

      PreK applications for DoE preK are ONLY available online.  The paper applications are available for CBOs that offer PreK, but not DoE schools.

      This school has BEGGED the DoE for paper applications for their families who don't have computer access, but to no avail.  They don't exist.

      Brooke
      WAGPOPS!
      Williamsburg Greenpoint Parents: Our Public Schools!
      (646) 543-4492

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2012
        That was the same charge from PS 123 in Harlem which is invaded by HSA. They could sign people up for their bogus pre-k (which was not in their charter) while PS 123 people had to go online. Thus they dropped from 3 pre-k to one I believe --- really the doe method of killing a public school and favoring a charter.

        There has got to be a lawsuit somewhere in all this.
        Norm

        --
        Have a good day

        Norm Scott
        normsco@...
        917-992-3734

        On Twitter:  @normscott1

        Education Notes Online
        ednotesonline.blogspot.com/

        GEM, Grassroots Education Movement
        gemnyc.org

        The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman
        www.waitingforsupermantruth.org

        Education Editor, The Wave
        http://www.rockawave.com/

        Norms's Robotics blog
        http://normsrobotics.blogspot.com/

      • Victoria Frye

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2012

            FWIIW- I checked in w/ DoE's enrollment office- OSE and they confirmed what I believe is the case, at least for D1 Pre-K:

            = that paper Pre K applications are available at enrollment offices.

            How to Apply

            Public School UPK Programs: The public school pre-kindergarten application period is from March 5 – April 5. Families may complete a public school application online OR in person at an enrollment officeApplications will not be accepted by mail.

            CBO UPK Programs: CBO programs manage their own application process. If you are interested in a CBO program, contact the CBO directly to ask about seat availability and enrollment.  For more information about community-based programs near you, please see the Pre-Kindergarten Directory or contact an Early Childhood Education field office

            To access a copy of the CBO UPK application, click here.
            The CBO application may not be used to apply to Public School UPK Programs.

            So one can access and print out the CBO UPK application but not the PS UPK application.

             The PS Pre-K application  has to be done online ( one must register for the  DoE site I think) or at the Borough enrollment offices.
            Hardly a level playing field and certainly not a parallel process.

            Lisa
            _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

            To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2012

              I think that a parent used be able to apply to preK at your local neighborhood school but no longer; I think this is what Lisa North told us.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 31, 2012
                I will re-check with my principal to see if this is still true, but I am quite sure it is.  Lisa N.

                Follow me on twitter @leoniehaimso n

                < p class="MsoNormal">Subscribe to NYC education news by emailing nyceducationnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                &nbs p;

                To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com