FW: [nyceducationnews] $14 Million Study Proves Student Laptops Ineffective A...

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2006

      Dear Neal: Leo Haimson is my father.

      I know kids love computers; I can’t get either my 8 year old or my 16 year old off of them while at home, wasting lots of time.

      I just don’t think that a massive investment by the system in laptops is worth it, when our schools already are crying out for many other needs.  Right now, we’re ahead of the rest of the state in spending on computers, while far behind on class size, arts, science labs and almost everything else you can think of.

      In Maine, where they have a laptop program, kids were found to be playing games on the internet in class – can you imagine, given our class sizes how rampant this problem would be?  I consider this a much more serious threat to the learning environment than cell phones could ever be.

      The administration is putting millions of dollars to develop a “digital portal” system in order to “individualize” learning; but the real way to individualize learning is to reduce class size and the ridiculously large teaching loads in middle and high school.  This they have absolutely no plans to do.  The notion that providing laptops to teachers and students will obviate the need for smaller classes when classes are often 30 and above, and teachers have 120-150 students each is absurd.

      But let’s agree to disagree and move on.

      Thanks,