FW: Cerf hearing canceled over residency issue

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 626 KB

    From: Stan Karp [mailto:SKarp@...]
    Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:01 AM
    To: NJSecondary
    Subject: Cerf hearing canceled over residency issue

    Hearing on N.J. acting education boss postponed over residency questions

    Star Ledger

    In a surprise move today, the head of the Senate Judiciary Committee postponed a scheduled Thursday confirmation hearing for Cerf, who was nominated by Christie in December of 2010 to become the state’s Education Commissioner…Nicholas Scutari (D-Union), who chairs the Judiciary Committee, says he pulled Cerf’s name from the hearing because he has new doubts about Cerf’s actual abode after Cerf gave an interview to the Asbury Park Press where he said, "I have two residences."

    Will courtesy prevail at Cerf hearing?

    Asbury Park Press

    “The facts are that I own a home in Montclair and that I reside there many nights a week. I have also rented a home … in the southern part of the state and I spent several nights a week there. I use it to shorten my commute and I use it regularly to shorten my commute,” Cerf said. “There has been absolutely nothing but a straightforward factual representation of those facts.” Cerf went on to label a potential question from state senators about whether he was living in Montclair or Montgomery a “complete false dichotomy.”

    Taking on New Jersey

    Education Next

    [“Education Next,” a leading corporate ed reform journal, published this extended puff piece hailing Chris Cerf as “the perfect modern education-reform leader” on the same day his nomination hearing was canceled.]

    “There are many, many interests at work in public education,” [Cerf] explains. “There are the interests of children, of course, which everyone talks about….I represent the interests of the children of New Jersey, pure and simple.”

    Cerf says education reform debate is a “knife fight in a dark room”

    At an education conference in San Francisco last fall sponsored by Jeb Bush’s “Foundation for Excellence in Education,” NJ’s Acting Education Commissioner Chris Cerf described current debate over education reform as “a knife fight in a dark room. We haven't shown courage & we've been nibbling at edges.” The remarks were made during a panel discussion sponsored by ‘Chiefs for Change,’ of which Cerf is a member. Dale Chu, an assistant to Indiana’s Supt. of Public Instruction Tony Bennett, quoted the comments in his twitter account (see attached).