RE: [nyceducationnews] Chris Cerf Hearing Thursday is Cancelled

  • Lisa Donlan
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2012
      sounds eerily like his outing at CPAC as having dumped his Edison stock 24 hours before the meeting in order  to deny that he had held any while a DoE consultant and employee...
      http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/09/nyregion/09edison.html?pagewanted=all

      To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
      CC: PAAnews@yahoogroups.com
      From: leonie@...
      Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:53:24 -0500
      Subject: [nyceducationnews] Chris Cerf Hearing Thursday is Cancelled

      Chris Cerf’s nomination  Hearing as NJ Ed Commissioner Thursday is Cancelled; why?

      because he admitted lives in Montclair; before then changing his story http://goo.gl/nrk87

      Chris Cerf Hearing Thursday is Cancelled

      Chris Cerf Hearing Thursday is Cancelled

      by: Rosi Efthim

      Mon Feb 13, 2012 at 01:33:42 PM EST

      Acting NJ Education Commissioner Chris Cerf's hearing before the NJ Senate Judiciary Committee has just been canceled, I am told by a member of the Committee.

      The Judiciary Committee has determined that Cerf - widely reported to have moved out of Essex County to the more GOP-friendly location of Somerset County, still lives at the same address in Montclair, where he has lived since 1999.

      That move might have removed him from the jurisdiction of Essex Senator Ronald Rice, who has blocked his nomination for months on the basis of questions about his history and financial entanglements in the education reform industry.

      But Cerf's hearing is off. The Judiciary Committee has determined he is not in fact a resident of Somerset County. And so, the practice of senatorial courtesy prevails, and Cerf's appointment for the hot seat before Senate Judiciary on Thursday is off.

      What tripped him up? Well, it might have been his own interviews. John Schoonejongen recounts an editorial board meeting with Cerf last week, in which he was asked where he lives. The exchange is telling:

      While making a point about school consolidation, Cerf said he was using Glen Ridge and Montclair as examples because that's where he lived. Seeking clarification, I asked him specifically where he lived.

      "Montclair," the acting commissioner answered.

      "Oh," he then said laughing.

      "Where are you living again, one more time?" I asked.

      "I actually have two residences," he answered. "In fact, I spent last night outside of Rocky Hill (in Montgomery). I'll spend tonight outside of Rocky Hill."

      Where does he live? Apparently, the New Jersey Senate thinks he lives in the same place he's lived since 1999.