Re: Occupy the DOE! RE: [nyceducationnews] did anyone tape the PEP discussion/vote?

  • Janine Sopp
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2012
      Unfortunately, I did not tape it, but would be great if we have access to this somehow, particularly the confrontation between Lisette Nieves and Patrick.  She was way out of line and showed the side of the panel that just wants to get the vote over with without question.  If someone has this, we should upload this on youtube and get it viral.  This would be a good way for people to recognize how these meetings work.  Very revealing.
      Any footage of Marc Sternberg responding to these questions would be almost comical, given the fact that he was really saying nothing and never actually answered the questions.

      I like Patrick's Walsh's idea of outing these folks.  This is Lisette Nieves' story.  They each have one, and an email address.

      http://schools.nyc.gov/AboutUs/leadership/PEP/members/default.htm

      Lisette Nieves

      Lisette Nieves is currently a Social Entrepreneur-in-Residence at the Blue Ridge Foundation and has accepted the appointment as the 2011 to 2013 Belle Zeller Distinguished Visiting Professor in Public Policy at the City University of New York at Brooklyn College. Most recently, Ms. Nieves served as the founding Executive Director of the workforce and education program - Year Up NY from 2006 through 2011, growing the organization from a $250,000 seed grant to a $6 million operation with 40 staff serving over 250 young adults a year. From 2002 to 2004, Ms. Nieves served as Chief of Staff at the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) for the City of New York. Prior to her work with DYCD, Ms. Nieves was the Director of Special Projects at the After School Corporation in New York. She is the Vice-Chair of New York City’s Panel for Education Policy, a trustee of the New York State Teachers’ Retirement System, member of the Year Up National Board and a member of the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton Advisory Council. Most recently Ms. Nieves received a federal commission appointment to the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics. She was a Rhodes Scholar and a Truman Scholar. She was the recipient of a John F. Kennedy Jr. Hero Award from the Robin Hood Foundation, and El Diario Mujeres Destacada Award from La Opinion. Ms. Nieves holds a B.A. from Brooklyn College and a M.P.A. from the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton University.

      Ms. Nieves can be reached at LNieves10@....

      On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Patrick Walsh <paddywalsh@...> wrote:
       I want to support  Lisa here and begin to call these Network jackasses to task.  Who are they ?  Who hires them and on what criteria ?  ( I have an ESL expert who has never taught and looks  16 years old. )  What is their real job and why, if they are there to support principals, are so many principals afraid of them and are, in fact,  taking orders from them ?  We need to shine on light on these people as well as on   the ridicules Leadership Academy as they are both essential  to the degradation of the  public  school system and the  de-professionalization of teachers.  The key here, it seems to me, are parents demanding their children's  schools be run by professional educators across the  board, not fly by night , shadowy networks and
      products of billionaire created "Leadership Academies."   How on earth are these places accredited ?  They are worse than the University of Phoenix.

      On Feb 11, 2012, at 1:22 PM, Lisa Donlan wrote:

      What about "accountability" by the support networks who are on the inside and charged w/ school support of every kind, esp principal and teacher pd, support and training?

      Along these lines, who is accountable for creating and approving the principals' goals? the Network's goals?

      Lisa

      To: gbran289@...; janinesopp@...; ows-public-education-committee@...
      CC: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com; normsco@...; dwmarelli@...
      From: leonie@...
      Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 13:15:36 -0500
      Subject: [nyceducationnews] did anyone tape the PEP discussion/vote?

      Did anyone tape the discussion among the PEP members?  I’d love to see what Patrick & wilfredo said;  the comment from new mayoral appt. Marti of CUNY that closing these schools is “courageous”;  also when Shael supposedly said the following (acc. to tweets)

      Direct explanation of school closing policy from Shael: "It doesn't actually matter what advice or coaching we give from the outside."

      Shael: the suggestion that kids are moved around (to large, struggling high schools) just isn't accurate.

      Make a tax-deductible contribution to Class Size Matters now!

      Subscribe to Class Size Matters news by emailing classsizematters-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe to NYC education news by emailing nyceducationnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2012
        That's quite a resume.......

        --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, Janine Sopp <janinesopp@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > actually matter what advice or coaching we give from the outside."
        > >

        > > Shael: the suggestion that kids are moved around (to large, struggling
        > > high schools) just isn't accurate.
        > >

        > > Leonie Haimson
        > > Executive Director
        > > Class Size Matters
        > > 124 Waverly Pl.
        > > New York, NY 10011
        > > 212-674-7320
        > > leonie@... <classsizematters@...>
        > > www.classsizematters.org
        > > http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com
        > > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leonie-haimson
        > >

        > > *Follow me on twitter @leoniehaimson***
        > >

        > > *Make a tax-deductible contribution<http://www.nycharities.org/donate/c_donate.asp?CharityCode=1757>
        > > to Class Size Matters now!*
        > >

        > > *Subscribe to Class Size Matters news by emailing *
        > > classsizematters-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > > *Subscribe to NYC education news by emailing *

      • John M. Beam
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 12, 2012
          That's actually the sort of resume we should like some (not all) of the PEP members to have if, in fact, they were allowed to make decisions based on their own best judgement and consideration of input from the public.  Sort of wasted in this structure. jmb