Re: [nyceducationnews] GS on Occupy DOE

  • John M. Beam
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2012
      As a childless education justice activist, I also think we need to challenge the idea that somehow only parents have stake in the public schools system.  It's thinking like that which leaves the school budget at the mercy of people more worried about their property and income taxes than about who will be competent to be their doctor or fix their computer in their golden years (emphasis on gold).  Moreover, many of the OWS folks have relatively recent experience in a variety of education environments.  JMB

      At 01:49 PM 2/10/2012 -0500, you wrote:

      Philissa Cramer in GS writes: "Protesters [were] affiliated with the Occupy movement, many with no connection to the city schools"

      http://gothamschools.org/2012/02/10/nine-things-you-need-to-know-about-last-nights-pep-meeting/

      Of course this is not true; as I commented, nearly all of these folks, who have been organizing since the fall, are NYC teachers/parents/students or education advocates/activists , disillusioned with the damaging and unilateral policies of the Bloomberg administration.

      She also leaves unidentified the charter schl parents as though they came in on their own, instead of brought in by Jeremiah Kittredge’s organization

      Go leave a comment!