PEP meeting tonight in Brooklyn, Mayor's approval ratings,, and answer our poll now!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2012

      1.      Please come and join us at the Panel for Educational Policy to speak out against the 20+ school closures on the agenda tonight.

      When: Wed., Feb. 9, at 5:30 PM

      Where: Brooklyn Tech, 29 Fort Greene Place, Brooklyn; map here: http://g.co/maps/u9hqr

      2.       For those following at home, the meeting at Brooklyn Tech will be livestreamed here- http://goo.gl/wZJFb

      3.       For our comments on the proposed school closures to be voted on tonight, you can check out our blog at

      http://goo.gl/pYXVo; a pdf of our comments, along w/ charts showing unconscionable class sizes at some of the struggling schools, is also available here.

      4.       A new Quinnipiac poll came out yesterday, showing that only 26% of New Yorkers approve of the way Bloomberg is handling our schools; 61% disapprove.  57% think he has failed to improve our schools, and only 13% think the next mayor should retain mayoral control.  The mayor blamed his poor showing on the ads the UFT has been running and said that if he bought up enough ad time, he could reverse the results.

      I have added a poll to the right hand side of our parent blog; do you think the mayor’s handling of our schools has been successful?  Do you think that the mayor should retain control over our schools? Please answer the questions now at   http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com/

      For some other headlines on the blog, see below:

      ·         Lawsuit filed today vs. Cobble Hill Success Academy charter school

      ·         Joel Rose of the School of One returns...with a ruling that ignores the city's conflict of interest rules

      ·         High school students tell Mayor Bloomberg why he should not close their schools

      ·         A teacher's story: Why the DC Impact system Bloomberg wants NYC schools to adopt caused me to leave teaching

      ·         Regents agree to give NY student data to limited corporation run by Gates and operated by Murdoch's Wireless Gen

      Thanks, and hope to see you tonight in Brooklyn!