NYC council staff recruiting for charters

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 9, 2012

      Not clear to me why Council staff is hawking charter schools… with all the money, huge advertising campaigns hedge funders, venture capitalists, and DOE support behind charter schools, and the way in which they drain resources and space from our regular public schools, why is this considered acceptable?

      Shouldn’t the Council be invested in helping recruit kids instead to our regular public schools?

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2012
        Here is what we need to understand about charters. It is very important for them to create demand. That's why they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to advertise, distribute flyers, send out mailers, etc. They want every charter to be oversubscribed and to hold a public lottery, where children and families suffer public rejection. All of this enables them to say that there is enormous demand and they are therefore entitled to get even more free public space.

        If they opened a school without marketing, and no one enrolled, that would undermine their narrative. That is why they spend vast amounts to generate demand, that is why they make outlandish promises, that is why they claim successes that they have not achieved. It's all about generating more demand than supply, thus enabling them to ask for more and more free space.

        Diane

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9, 2012

          Okay thanks for the response.

          Unfortunately, the way in which the charter expansion is being forced on communities by the DOE is creating a very divisive atmosphere almost like a battleground – it shouldn’t be like this, but it is.

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2012

            which CM does Ms. Hawkins work for?

            To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
            CC: Shawkins@...; JAtwell@...; SMorgridge@...; robertjacksonnyc@...
            From: leonie@...
            Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 09:07:28 -0500
            Subject: [nyceducationnews] NYC council staff recruiting for charters

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2012

              Charter schools use self-maintained and self-proclaimed "waiting lists" to justify "excess demand" and support for more schools or expansions or replications of existing charter schools.

               Charters that use claims of hundred and thousands on waiting lists to get additional space or charters are then often unable to meet their own enrollment targets, proving that proclaimed waiting list numbers re not at all correlated to student enrollment.

              How can we get DoE or the charter authorizers that believe these claims of "demand," and depend on them as a basis for approving and siting them in our public school buildings, to certify that they have audited the lists and that they are indeed bona fide indicators of real demand for seats?

              Some one has to be accountable for these exaggerations, lies and false correlations!
              Lisa

              To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 9, 2012

                She works for Tish James; but she has apologized and written me that sending this out was a mistake.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 9, 2012
                  Good point.  We (MH in boston) hated having any excess - and the idea of using public money to produce waiting lists seemed a misuse of money.     But of course it has its political value and we had thoughts about that--would it be an argument for the system starting more schools like ours.  In East Harlem, thirty years ago, we got the superintendent to start two additional CPE elementzary school on that basis.

                  But it's definitely important to question the tactic.   Colleges get rated on how few applicants they can accept!  Bizarre.

                  Deb
                  -----
                  Deborah Meier

                  Note: latest book!! Playing For Keeps (TC Press) by D. Meier, Brenda Engel and Beth Taylor

                  NOTE: new e-mail address.  deborahmeier@...

                  For more information see website:  http://www.deborahmeier.com

                  To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 9, 2012