Re: [nyceducationnews] Principal won't take job - to teachers' relief

  • Maria Dapontes-Dougherty
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
      Most of the problems with principals in my district seem to stem from the Leadership Academy
      Maria
      On Jul 4, 2007, at 8:30 PM, Joan wrote:

      I know of 1 graduate of the Principal's academy who
      was hired as principal of a charter school a year
      before the school opened to get it organized. Once
      the school opened, she didn't even last as principal
      for 2 years.

      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265

      Maria Dapontes-Dougherty

    • dorooz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
        Isn't it funny, like hiring so many of the experienced parent leaders into positions as parent coordinators, diminished the parent leadership for a few years and at the same time, by creating so many Lis's, Ris's etc. They diminished the cadre of experienced Principals allowing them to fill those ranks in many cases with their own people.

        Well thought out plan.

        Dorothy
        Region 6 HS

        See what's free at AOL.com.
      • norscot@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
          Posted to ICE-mail by a teacher who was driven out of Lafayette by Rohloff who also made sure she could not teach under her license. Luckily she had another license and is still teaching - Norm

          Does ANYTHING point out the incongruities of the DOE and the true
          nature of Bloom/Klein regarding their attitudes towards parents,
          students, and teachers more than how they are "creating" a spot for
          Madame Rohloff?

          According to the Daily News article of July 4, a shill for the DOE
          has said that Rohloff is considered to be a "talented leader".

          Oh, brother! The muckity mucks wanted to place a Principal in a
          school known for teaching Math and Science that released a pie chart
          to parents and students that averaged OVER 100%? Obviously, the woman
          can't add, or is detail oriented- unless, of course, it's to pursue
          teachers and students with a vengeance.

          As for her other "talents"- NOT a people person... made a Special Ed.
          student cry, compared Lafayette to Auschwitz ( it wasn't that way
          until SHE took the helm, I understand), alienated teachers, students,
          local politicians and alumni while running Lafayette into the ground
          ( a once illustrious school in Brooklyn). Engaged in dubious
          practices (paying her favorites to adorn bulletin boards), and
          bringing upon Lafayette so much negative publicity the school could
          NEVER recover from her shenanigans.

          I know many teachers from other schools in Brooklyn that have worked
          under this woman. Rohloff has employed the same tactics on students
          and teachers prior to her supervising the demise of Lafayette.

          If Bloomberg and Klein are REALLY interested in turning around the
          N.Y.C. school system, WHY is someone like Rohloff ( and other
          Principals that are similarly protected) STILL allowed to work, be
          granted bonuses, AND have special schools set up for them?

          As parents and teachers, I consider this to be a TREMENDOUS waste of
          taxpayers' monies. I, for one, resent the fact that a Principal so
          obviously unsuited for this position is allowed to carry on within
          the system, while the DOE unilaterally uses taxpayer money to protect
          one of its' own ( again, as well as others). WHY isn't the money used
          to pay these incompetents funneled towards the schools?

          I'm outraged ( as both a teacher and parent of a child attending a
          N.Y.C. school), and so should you be. Let's organize a campaign
          letting our politicians and the NYS Dept. of Ed. know of how we feel
          about this present Mayoral control of the school system, and register
          our
          displeasure at how the policies of this administration exclude and
          squelch the voices of parents, students, and teachers regarding
          educational control of our schools.

          **************************************
          See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
        • Maria Dapontes-Dougherty

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
              I totally agree. I think this needs to be exposed to the public at
              large, and I especially like the taxpayer angle which applies to
              everyone, not just parents of public school kids. what a disgrace.
              BB

            • Randle James (30Q575)
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
                What will it take for them to get rid of her? Principals don't have tenure, she has no job security... right?

                James Randle, Coordinator of Student Affairs
                Academy of American Studies
                28-04 41st Ave
                Long Island City, NY 11101
                office line- 718-433-2556 ext 260
                718-361-8786
                fax-718-361-8832
                cell# 516-713-0676
                jrandle@...

                "Nothing you do for children is ever wasted." - Garrison Keillor