5th grade ELA exam

  • robertajuliette4896
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2007
      Has anyone heard anything about the fact that more than one question
      wrong on the 5th grade ELA exam resulted in a score of 3?

      Roberta
      mom to a 5th grader who got a 4--lucky I think
    • Gary Babad
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2007
        I wouldn't be surprised. On both 7th grade tests, my daughter, for the
        second year in a row, got a "3" even though in each and every category
        her "SPI" was far above the "target range", with the target range
        supposedly equivalent to a three. And on the math, her SPI was well
        into the 90's, with 100 being the best one can get. So the only thing
        I can surmise is that there is not much difference in actual
        "questions right" between a three and a four.

        -Gary

        --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, "robertajuliette4896"

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2007

          The same thing happened w/ my third grade son; way above the target ranges but still a 3 in ELA and math.  I’d heard this from many other parents as well.

          I speculate that they must have made the tests so easy that then they had to hurriedly adjust it by rescaling it so that not too many kids would get fours – which meant at some grade levels very few wrong answers and perhaps only one separated a three and a four.

          Meredith Kolodner, the reporter from the Chief, told me something about this when the scores first came out; Meredith – do you have any clarification for the group?

          Thanks, Leonie