Re SUNY Ch. Inst. hearings

  • SusanCNYC@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2011
      Re from Leonie on SUNY Charter Inst. hearings --

      Most interesting thing: a guy named Mark something was there from SUNY Charter Institute busily taking notes; I’d never seen that before, has anyone else?

      Yes -- a similar hearing was held on the Brandeis co-location last spring ... for all the good it did staving it off!

      At one of several charter forums I attended last spring/summer, SUNY Ch. Inst. co-Executive Director (I think that's his title in this capacity) Pedro Noguera noted that SUNY approves or rejects charter applications independent of whether the charter school has a space lined up, much less one that is welcomed by the school or community to which it is coming.

      The SUNY hearings appear to be yet another DOE/SED measure to let parents be "heard" -- though, as we know, rarely listened to.

      Parents, CECs, teachers and administrators should also direct their concerns to NY State Senator Bill Perkins, who held hearings last spring on charter schools before the law was revised.  (E-mail: perkins@....)  He was at the Wadleigh "pre-hearings" on presumed closing two weeks ago, and when I shared with him some particular concerns I had about the proliferation of charters with high rates of attrition, he said we should maintain contact with him with such concerns.

      Susan