RE: [nyceducationnews] Re: Success/Brandeis co-location comments due BY NOON TODAY

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011

      Has SUNY or CSI ever rejected a specific site for a charter offered by DOE?

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
        I don't think so.  They did not reject the proposed Girls Prep siting, which ranks amongst the worst ever.   In that one Nogeura voted no although did not make any case against the siting or convince the other trustees on the charter school committee he chairs.   I've not seen any direct comments from any of them on the sitings as they tend to defer to their attorney/spokespeople.

        The minutes of this meeting provide some insight into how they viewed the changes in the law:

        http://www.suny.edu/Board_of_Trustees/bot_docs/2010/july_8/CharterCmte%20Materials.pdf

      • Noah E Gotbaum
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011

          SUNY has never rejected a location.  Nor, as far as we know, have they ever even rejected a charter application.  They tried to cite Girl’s Prep but that was Steiner, not SUNY nor SCI.

          And following up on what Beth wrote, when we asked Ralph Rossi of the SUNY Charter Institute if SUNY Trustees – including Dr. “no rubber stamp” Noguera - would attend the hearing and whether there would be a vote by them to approve the Brandeis location, we got the following response:

          “There is no statutory vote required (Education Law 2853(3)(a)). It is an approval required by the charter agreement between the school and SUNY, which the Institute handles.”  SCI’s email goes on to explain that “…if the Institute’s recommendation is positive, no further action will be taken by SUNY…”

          In other words, SUNY’s legal responsibility to receive “public comments” and to “approve” a charter location is interpreted by them to mean that they needn’t be involved in the process in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER.  Instead, they delegate everything to SCI – essentially a trade association for its charter schools solely dedicated to sponsoring, nurturing (and overseeing!) charters – who hold the hearing on SUNY’s behalf, review and summarize all public comments on SUNY’s behalf, and make the locational “determination,” which is then deemed to be final –without any review by the SUNY Trustees.

          Was this what was intended by the legislature when the law was changed?  Is this what the Charters mean by “accountability?”  Outrageous…

          noah

          Has SUNY or CSI ever rejected a specific site for a charter offered by DOE?

          Months ago, at the meeting where SUNY granted the charter (without a specific D3 location), Dr. Noguera did say that he wanted to look carefully at the site that got chosen before approving it. I am told he didn't want SUNY to be a "rubber stamp." That said, if he now has an opinion on this specific co-location, I have not heard it, nor of any Success-related visit by Dr. Noguera to the Brandeis complex.

          It is so odd to me, now that SUNY held this hearing to do a final site evaluation, that the SUNY Charter Schools Institute is responsible for receiving public comments and making a recommendation to the SUNY Board about approval. As far as I know, there were no Board members at the location hearing this week. The CSI would seem to be in the business of supporting charters, and I find it weird that they are the buffer between the overwhelming community opposition and Dr. Noguera/the SUNY Board.

          --- In nyced ucationnews@yahoogroups.com, "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...> wrote:

          > Has Pedro Noguera expressed an opinion on this co-location? Has he visited
          > any of the co-located charters in D3, to your knowledge?
          >

          > Leonie Haimson
          >
          > Executive Director
          >
          > Class Size Matters
          >
          > 124 Waverly Pl.
          >
          > New York, NY 10011
          >
          > 212-674-7320
          >
          > <mailto:classsizematters@...> leonie@...
          >
          > <http://www.classsizematters.org/> www.classsizematters.org
          >
          > <http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com/>
          > http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com
          >
          > <http://www.huffington post.com/leonie-haimson>
          > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leonie-haimson
          >

          > Follow me on twitter @leoniehaimson
          >

          > Make a <http://www.nycharities.org/donate/c_donate.asp?CharityCode=1757>
          > tax-deductible contribution to Class Size Matters now!
          >

          > Subscribe to Class Size Matters news by emailing
          > <mailto:classsizematters-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>
          > classsizematters-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Subscribe to NYC education news by emailing
          > <mailto:nyceducationnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>

          nyceducationnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        • Lisa Donlan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
            posted on this list on  3/29/10

             How do charter schools get chartered?

            An object lesson:

            GPCS expansion vote by SUNY CSI on web cast

            This discussion is priceless- it really lays out the issues of accountability, transparency and the political nature of these charter decisions.

            You can hear things like:

            the dollar a year space deal from Klein is the reason for the proliferation of charters in NYC,

            (later in the session the dollar/year deal is called "irresistible" )

            from the data and materials from the hearings, CSI has determined there is no adverse affect on students with this co location

            ( yet no materials from the hearing including CEC and other parent and staff feedback was made available to the 3 voting members

             SUNY CSI depends on DoE and the PEP- described as "an independent body"- for due diligence on space...

            SUNY CSI is not required to consider the issue of impact or fairness of co location (one of the committee members wants to "reframe this discussion and their role to be one of  bringing all the parties to the table" when he realizes they are helping to create winners (charters) and losers (PS's)...)

            this collocation will have no impact on instructional space; the principals will hash it out over the non-instructional space

            The charter authorization process is separate from the space decision, and there is no requirement to consider space as part of charter decisions,

            Surprise- Elizabeth Rose (DoE OPP point person) and Miariam Raccah ( head of PublicPrep the GPCS CMO) were in attendance (no one from the PS side was there)

            You can  see ER gloat at the end over a job well done!

            I have been informed that we can expect a letter very soon from the main apologist for the charters in this tape, Robert Rossi, explaining how the law is clear that the hearings do not inform the decision- even though they are required.
            The claim is that according to the law, the only input the chartering authorities need is the input of the school district- which means Chancellor Klien.

            http://mediasite. suny.edu/ mediasite/ Viewer/?peid= c9072beebf3148cb 8eb5c52425a5a4ae

            26:40- 54:50

            Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 16:19:17 -0400
            From: Cynthia.Proctor@ suny.edu
            Subject: Link to SUNY Committee Meeting Webcast
            To: lisabdonlan@ hotmail.com

            Ms. Donlan:
            I am writing in response to the voicemail message you left me earlier today. I am happy to provide the link to the webcast of the SUNY Trustees' Charters Schools Meeting held on March 16, 2010.
            Because the link to the webcast itself is provided at two different speeds, the link I am actually giving you is to the full page listing all SUNY Board and Committee meetings.  Simply scroll down to Charter Schools Committee, March 16, 2010 - the ninth item on the list.
            http://www.suny. edu/Board_ of_Trustees/ meetingNotices. cfm?navLevel= 2&archivedPage= Y#b
            The discussion of the renewal application for Girls Prep begins at the 26:40 time marker in the file. You should be able to drag the play line forward to that point.
            Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any trouble accessing the file.

            Best,
            Cynthia
            Cynthia M. Proctor
            Director of Public Affairs
            SUNY Charter Schools Institute
            41 State Street, Suite 700
            Albany, New York 12207
            518/433-8277, ext. 2051
            cynthia.proctor@ suny.edu
            www.newyorkcharters .org

            Subject: RE: Girls Prep Charter renewal hearing 10/20/09
            Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:30:04 -0400
            From: MBest@schools. nyc.gov
            To: patrickj.sullivan@ yahoo.com; JKlein@schools. nyc.gov
            CC: ralph.rossi@ suny.edu; jtenglert@si. rr.com; katherine.graetzer@ suny.edu; jessicaasantos@ aol.com; jake.itzkowitz@ gmail.com; izzyad74@gmail. com; gkirschenbaum@ manhattanbp. org; bsherman@council. nyc.gov; mary@danielsquadron .org; bommerz@assembly. state.ny. us; rosemarie@danielsqu adron.org; lisabdonlan@ hotmail.com; AHaynes4@schools. nyc.gov

            Patrick,

            Joel asked me to respond to your email about whether SUNY received CEC1’s comments about Girls Prep.

            SUNY was in possession of CEC1’s comments at the same time DOE was.  It is my understanding that Lisa Donlan of CEC1 copied Ralph Rossi of SUNY when she emailed the CEC’s comments to the DOE Charter School Office, so that he received them simultaneously with DOE.

            Our understanding from SUNY is that their reference to not receiving comments from the district meant that they did not receive any comments from the Chancellor on behalf of the City School District.  It does not mean that they did not receive the CEC1 comments.

            I hope this information is helpful.

            Mike

            Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:03:56 -0400
            From: AHaynes4@schools. nyc.gov
            To: lisabdonlan@ hotmail.com
            CC: ralph.rossi@ suny.edu

            Good Morning Ms. Donlan,

            Thank you for your feedback regarding the charter renewal application for Girls Preparatory Charter School of NY.  Your comments will be forwarded to SUNY-CSI, the school's authorizer.

            Sincerely,

            Aquila Evelina Haynes

            Associate Director of Community Engagement

            Charter School Office

            New York City Department of Education

            52 Chambers Street, #413 | New York, NY 10007

             Phone: 212-374-4415 | Fax: 212-374-5761 |ahaynes4@schools. nyc.gov

            Check for the latest Charter School News on Facebook: NYC Charter Schools

            Please find attached the comments from the Community Education Council for Community School District One regarding the renewal, which is in fact an expansion request, for Girls Prep Charter School to grow by 3 grades and 275-300 seats.

            Lisa Donlan
            CEC One
            President

            To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com