Principal Davis violates discipline code at UA Performing Arts (News 4)

  • Jonathan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2011
      The "offense" is marginal. The "punishment" is not listed in the Discipline Code, and is probably in violation of the Students' Bill of Rights.

      Two students stood rather than sat for an assembly at the Urban Assembly School for the Performing Arts.  The students' non-conforming discipline was administered by principal Thea Davis.

      Story is on video from News 4 NY:
      http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Two_Teens_Forced_to_Clean_Principal_s_Office_New_York-119037499.html

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2011
        Unbelievable.

        This has hints of the systems's disrespect, disregard and infantilizing
        of teen youth as well.
        Students are made to sit on the floor, including in circles and groups
        etc etc in grades way past age appropriate.

        Would adults, which these two boys almost are, be made to sit on the
        floor in Assembly?

        I LOVE the students' idea for her just punishment!!

        I'd give her a toothbrush to do the cleaning -old school style

        Elizabeth Carson

        --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan <jd2718@...> wrote:

        > The "offense" is marginal. The "punishment" is not listed in the
        Discipline
        > Code, and is probably in violation of the Students' Bill of Rights.
        >
        > Two students stood rather than sat for an assembly at the Urban
        Assembly
        > School for the Performing Arts. The students' non-conforming
        discipline was
        > administered by principal Thea Davis.
        >
        > Story is on video from News 4 NY:

        http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Two_Teens_Forced_to_Clean_Principal\
        _s_Office_New_York-119037499.html

        > On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Patrick Sullivan patk.j.sullivan@...
        > > wrote:

        Co-Location
        > > of Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School with I.S. 303
        Herbert S.
        > > Eisenberg, Rachel Carson High School for Coastal Studies and a
        District 75
> [...]
        > > in the main offices of I.S. 303, Rachel Carson HS, P771K@I303 and
        Coney
        > > Island Prep.
        > >
        > > * *
        > >
        > > *III. Submission of public comment. *
        > >
        > > *Written comments can be sent to *D21Proposals@...*. *
        > >
        > > *Oral comments can be left at 212-374-0208.*
        > >
        > > * *
        > >
        > > *IV. The name, office, address, email and telephone number of
        the
        > > city district representative, knowledgeable on the item under
        consideration,
        > > from whom information may be obtained concerning the item.*
        > >
        > > Name: Benjamin Taylor
        > >
        > > Office: Division of Portfolio Planning
        > >
        > > Address: 52 Chambers St
        > >
        > > Email: D21Proposals@...
        > >
        > > Phone: 212-374-0208
        > >

        > > *V. Date, time and place of joint public hearings for this

        2011

      • melmeer1@verizon.net