Re: student protest vs. another abusive Leadership Academy principal

  • Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1 12:17 AM
      I agree with Dee.

      This "tradition" of administrative abuse predates the Leadership
      Academy.

      It exists today unchecked, uncorrected for political purposes where
      intimidation, oppression and control, the fear and dysfuntion in the
      school community it causes, help in the expedition and cover of
      corruptions of many sorts.

      Elizabeth Carson

      --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, Dee Alpert <sappell@...> wrote:

      > This has nothing to do with the Leadership Academy. Really! It has
      > do with Tweed sitting back and letting principals, no matter where
      they
      > trained, doing whatever the hell they want in their schools. I hope
      > this molester's victims sue the daylights out of him and Tweed and the
      > entire NYC govt. AND I sincerely hope they don't allow the defendants
      > have the trial record sealed. I hope someone specifically asks Cathie
      > Black about this case at the next public opportunity.
      >
      > Folks should rename Tweed "Bloomberg's Brothel."
      >
      > Dee Alpert
      > Past Chair, NYC and NYS NOW
      > Employment Discrimination Taskforce
      >

      > On 3/31/2011 11:23 PM, Leonie Haimson wrote:
      > >
      > > Principal Bost has been accused of sexual harassment numerous times,
      > > as cited in this DN article last year; and yet DOE kept him on for
      > > unknown reasons.

      http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/education/2010/06/24/2010-06-24_bx_p\
      rincipal_probed__again__in_sex_harass_charges_from_staffers.html

      > > More on this see:

      http://jd2718.wordpress.com/2010/09/13/protest-at-fordham-leadership-aca\
      demy/

      > > Recently students were suspended for handing around DN article after
      > > two teachers were allegedly brought up for charges of "incompetence"
      > > by same principal, but acc. to students, actually for "knowing too
      > > much" about principal's ongoing abuses.
      > >
      > > Bost (of course) another LA grad. Students then organized a
      walkout.
      > > See video below

      http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=277616&position=1&news\
      _type=news

      <http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=277616&position=1&new\
      s_type=news>

      > > /Roosevelt H.S. students stage walkout /
      > >
      > > /(03/29/11) *THE BRONX* - About two dozen Roosevelt High School
      > > students staged a walkout today that is now raising questions about
      > > why two popular staff members were let go. /
      > >
      > > /Benjamin Rodriguez says he led the protest after being suspended
      for
      > > distributing copies of a news article that discussed a sexual
      > > harassment case against Principal Richard Bost. /
      > >
      > > /Students say they believe the faculty members were let go for
      knowing
      > > too much information about the principal. However, the Department of
      > > Education (DOE) says that teacher Mike Mullen and counselor Diane
      > > Ghallagher are facing termination hearings for incompetence. /
      > >
      > > /The DOE also confirmed that Bost is a probationary principal and
      that
      > > his probation was extended three years after a sexual harassment
      > > allegation was substantiated. /

    • Jonathan
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1 4:15 AM
        But this is different. The superintendent removed him - the next day Klein put him back (after the finding of sexual harassment was confirmed). The harassment issue may generate more headlines - but this is an issue of a protected Leadership Academy principal with a wide range of abusive behavior towards staff and students.

        Jonathan

        On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 2:05 AM, Dee Alpert <sappell@...> wrote:

        I don't see that this has anything to do with "education deformers."  The NYC DOE kept on an a.p. in Queens despite numerous rumors re his molesting female students for years; then ... he got himself transferred to Stuy. where he serially molested 23 female students.  That was before the Bloomberg/Klein education "deform" move - in happened under a prior Mayor and prior Chancellor, Harold Levy.  Or at least, the a.p. was caught and prosecuted under Levy.  His serial molestations went on for many years before then in at least 2 different high schools.

        There are recurrent stories nationally about what is called the "pass the trash" process whereby principals and/or superintendents agree to give molesters decent references and not have them disciplined or prosecuted as long as they keep quiet about what they've done and move to another district.  This is an historic process; zero to do with any education "reform" measures; before, even, the current folks whom you would call "deformers" were even born.  If you want to know something about adult molestations of students in schools, check out Prof. Charol Shakeshaft's study for US DOE, on US DOE's web site, published about 6 years ago.

        Dee Alpert

        On 4/1/2011 1:57 AM, Noah E Gotbaum wrote:

        Read it again, Leonie.  He wasn’t just accused of sexual harassment; he was found guilty of it - groping his payroll secretary.  So the DOE sends her packing and he stays on.  Only to be under investigation 2 more times for the same offense.   Ask your question again: “Why is the DOE keeping this guy on?”

        Perhaps it’s because he’s had the fine judgment only to grope and harass his staff, but not his students - those he’s just trying to suspend them for exercising their most basic rights.

        And this is the guy whom the DOE and the other education “reformers” want determining the fate and future of our teachers – all without their tenure due process or seniority protections.   Then again, why would teachers need these protections when they can be evaluated by a fair-minded public servant like this Principal?

        noah

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1 9:34 AM

            Only if parents sue; it is almost impossible to find legal representation for cases like this.

            classsizematters@...

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1 9:46 AM

              I mentioned the Ed Reformers complicity in this because of their number one policy initiative is to remove teacher tenure and other due process protections, thereby giving carte blanche to abuses like this.

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1 9:52 AM
                But Noah,

                What due process protections do teachers really have? I witnessed first
                hand and heard many more accounts of outrageous heartbreaking injustices
                leveraged on classroom teachers by school administrators, district
                officials and curriculum specialists in Manhattan during the nineties
                and into the early years of this decade. In the vast majorityof cases,
                higher level administrators, school board members and most importantly
                their own union stood by -or worse aided and abetted the activity.

                I wish it weren't so

                Elizabeth

                --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, "Noah E Gotbaum" <noah@...>

                <http://www.nycharities.org/donate/c_donate.asp?CharityCode=1757>
                > tax-deductible contribution to Class Size Matters now!
                >

                > Subscribe to Class Size Matters news by emailing
                > classsizematters-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > Subscribe to NYC education news by emailing
                > nyceducationnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Haimson
                > Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:24 PM
                > To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [nyceducationnews] student protest vs. another abusive
                Leadership
                > Academy principal
                >

                > Principal Bost has been accused of sexual harassment numerous times,
                as
                > cited in this DN article last year; and yet DOE kept him on for
                unknown
                > reasons.

                http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/education/2010/06/24/2010-06-24_bx_p\
                rinc
                > ipal_probed__again__in _sex_harass_charges_from_staffers.html

                <http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/education/2010/06/24/2010-06-24_bx_\
                prin
                > cipal_probed__again__in_sex_harass_charges_from_staffers.html>
                >
                > More on this see:

                http://jd2718.wordpress.com/2010/09/13/protest-at-fordham-leadership-aca\
                demy
                > /
                >
                > Recently students were suspended for handing around DN article after
                two
                > teachers were allegedly brought up for charges of "incompetence" by
                same
                > principal, but acc. to students, actually for "knowing too much" about
                > principal's ongoing abuses.
                >
                > Bost (of course) another LA grad. Students then organized a walkout.
                See
                > video below
                >
                > http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=277616

                <http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=277616&position=1&new\
                s%0d
                > %0a%20_type=news> &position=1&news_type=news
                >

                > Roosevelt H.S. students stage walkout
                >
                > (03/29/11) THE BRONX - About two dozen Roosevelt High School students
                staged
                > a walkout today that is now raising questions about why two popular
                staff
                > members were let go.
                >
                > Benjamin Rodriguez says he led the protest after being suspended for
                > distributing copies of a news article that discussed a sexual
                harassment
                > case against Principal Richard Bost.
                >
                > Students say they believe the faculty members were let go for knowing
                too
                > much information about the principal. However, the Department of
                Education
                > (DOE) says that teacher Mike Mullen and counselor Diane Ghallagher are
                > facing termination hearings for incompetence.
                >
                > The DOE also confirmed that Bost is a probationary principal and that
                his
                > probation was extended three years after a sexual harassment
                allegation was
                > substantiated.

              • Dee Alpert
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 1 10:43 AM
                  In a case where a principal was found guilty of sexual harassment of adult females; had Joel Klein continue his probationary employment anyway, and then there were other similar complaints re the principal, I suspect the Title VII bar would be frothing at the mouth to take the suit.  Typically, employers just take the position that harassment didn't happen.  When you already have someone who was investigated and found to have done it, and then complaints re him doing it again were initially blown off ... rare case, could be worth a lot of money to the plaintiffs' attorneys.  I'd just call the NY County Bar Ass'n. for an attorney referral.

                  Dee Alpert

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 1 11:32 AM
                    If only...
                    As with many sexual harassment issues in the workplace, many of the complaining females were afraid to press charges or take legal action fearing for their jobs. They complained but insisted that their names not be used. The only female who came forward was the secretary who lodged the OEO complaint. The charges were substantiated, the principal's probation extended, the secretary moved to another school. Bost lived to harass another day. One of his subsequent victims was actually a parent. She went to the DOE and her state senator to complain.

                    Lynne

                    To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 1 11:56 AM
                      If he went after a parent ... the man is obviously an out-of-control molester and should have been removed as a public health and safety measure.  In my experience w/NOW as employment discrim. taskforce chair, after one woman files in fed. ct., others who were afraid to do so are emboldened and come forward, if not as complainants then as witnesses for the plaintiff(s).

                      Dee

                      To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                      From: sappell@...
                      Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 13:43:39 -0400

                      In a case where a principal was found guilty of sexual harassment of adult females; had Joel Klein continue his probationary employment anyway, and then there were other similar complaints re the principal, I suspect the Title VII bar would be frothing at the mouth to take the suit.  Typically, employers just take the position that harassment didn't happen.  When you already have someone who was investigated and found to have done it, and then complaints re him doing it again were initially blown off ... rare case, could be worth a lot of money to the plaintiffs' attorneys.  I'd just call the NY County Bar Ass'n. for an attorney referral.

                      Dee Alpert

                      On 4/1/2011 12:34 PM, Leonie Haimson wrote:

                      Only if parents sue; it is almost impossible to find legal representation for cases like this.

                      classsizematters@...

                      Make a tax-deductiblecontribution to Class Size Matters now!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 2 10:27 AM
                        Without for a moment diminishing the anguish caused by abuse 10 or 20 years ago, the level of administrator abuse of staff in our schools today is far, far greater. What was once shocking is now commonplace.

                        Jonathan