Fwd: Spirit lifter !!! Great news story in NYC public school education-- Elementary School Is Oscars-Bound, The Carpetbagger, ARTS, The New York Times, January 20, 2011

  • Elizabeth Carson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 12:56 PM
      Re Staten Island PS 22 Chorus
      Message from our January 2011 archives
      Elizabeth Carson

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Elizabeth Carson <nycholdnational@...>
      Date: Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 11:34 AM
      Subject: Spirit lifter !!! Great news story in NYC public school education-- Elementary School Is Oscars-Bound, The Carpetbagger, ARTS, The New York Times, January 20, 2011
      To: AMERICANMATHFORUM@yahoogroups.com, NYCHOLDNATIONAL@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: ICOPE@yahoogroups.com

      Elementary School Is Oscars-Bound

      The Carpetbagger ( NYT) visits the P.S. 22 Chorus in Staten Island, where 65 fifth-graders are preparing to sing at the Academy Awards. Produced by Jeremy Beiler

      http://video.nytimes.com/video/2011/01/20/arts/1248069576079/elementary-school-is-oscars-bound.html

      Watching this video made me cry.

      Congratulations to the children and their parents, and kudos to their chorus director Mr Gregg Breinberg!

      A number in my immediate family and extended family are professional musicians, some with music education experience
      At times in their careers, both my parents were K-12 public school music educators in Missouri, Florida and Minnesota. Mom, a classically trained concert pianist, was a chorus and musical theatre director, and university affiliated private piano and organ instructor. My father, a classically trained trumpet and jazz upright bassist, was a concert band,  marching band and orchestra director.

      Both of my parents together in their first teaching positions after graduating from the University of Illinois,  produced professional quality operettas with middle and high school students in a public K-12 school system in a small, modest income farm town in Missouri. The student performances were remarkable, the productions stunning, complete with costumes rented out of St Louis. Dad's marching band repeatedly placed in state competitions. My father's marching band won several state competitions

      After we moved to Florida, my father began the first ever public school orchestra program  in central Florida,  which eventually established in a group of area middle and high schools. This accomplishment was back in the days when Florida teachers were striking for better wages.

      I know personally  what it takles, the hours, the hard work and deep commitment by teacher student family and school community to produce the level of quality and accomplishment of the children's chorus at PS 22.

      Their example isn't average, but it is possible for many children to reach this level of musical accomplishment,and greater, in K-12 public school. The lessons learned and the joy in it for the students teachers, families and community are immeasurable and will last a lifetime.

      Staten Island PS 22 choir - phenomenally good work by an outstanding  group of 10 year olds, led by one extraordinary chorus director.

      Brings back so many good memories of what public school music education can and should be.

      --
      Elizabeth Carson
      Owner & Moderator AMERICAN MATH FORUM Mathematics Education Advocacy Network