Re: Rhee Was A Cancer Removed By DC Voters, The Healing Begins

  • pinesmoon
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2010
      As difficult as it is for me to say this about a TFA, Ms. Lilly I respect and admire you. It appears to me that you are a brilliant and talented young educator. I hope you will give teaching another try soon.

      Posted at 9:33 AM ET, 12/10/2010

      Former Dunbar teacher: 'Neglect, zero accountability' at school
      By Bill Turque

      Geometry teacher Jessica Lilly found the fliers on the walls when she arrived at Dunbar Senior High School early one morning last month. They were a photo of a female student, with her name, phone number and an obscene caption announcing that she was available for oral sex with boys and girls.

      "Wanna be next?????"

      "Holla at Me!!!!"

      It was a vile piece of bullying, and one that seemed to cry out for some intervention from school administrators. Lilly said as far she knows, there was no response from Friends of Bedford, the team of private consultants who ran the school until they were removed by Interim Chancellor Kaya Henderson on Wednesday. It was one of numerous incidents of harassment and violence that she said were tolerated or overlooked. On Dec. 1, she quit the school in disgust and despair.

      "Friends of Bedford created a school culture of neglect, insecurity, zero accountability and poor communication," Lilly wrote to me in a long, anguished e-mail this week. Bedford CEO George Leonard and his colleagues have stopped returning phone and e-mail messages, so there is no response to Lilly's account.

      Lilly is a Teach for America recruit, one of hundreds from alternative training programs who have come to the D.C. school system in the Rhee-Henderson era. And she understands that she's easily stereotyped: impossibly young (23), earnest, energized and compulsively prepared. She came to an interview Thursday afternoon at a Cleveland Park Starbucks with a two-page, single-spaced outline of the points she wanted to cover.

      But it would be a mistake to write Lilly off as a fragile suburban white girl who dipped her toe into DCPS for a few weeks and bolted. She made it through last year at Dunbar with an IMPACT score at the high-end of the "effective" category, and spent last summer planning how to raise her game in the classroom. She was thrilled when she was assigned to Dunbar, once the school of choice for the city's black elite, but now in federally mandated restructuring for persistently poor performance.

      "We were all so excited and optimistic," she said "There was huge buy-in from the teachers."

      She said Leonard promised "more support than we could possibly imagine," everything from high-tech promethean boards and classroom laptops to constant professional development opportunities. But as the 2009-10 school year went on, she said teachers saw less and less of Leonard and his associates, who seemed to retreat into their offices. It was unnerving to a young first-year teacher, who wanted direction and said she couldn't get it.

      The only constant, she said, was principal Stephen Jackson. "He was very, very present around the building," Lilly said. "He made the kids feel like there was structure and safety." There were some bright spots that first year. Tenth grade reading scores on the DC-CAS rose about 10 points, which Lilly attributes to the relentless work of the two sophomore English teachers.

      But Jackson, who was brought to Dunbar by Leonard, was removed at the end of the year. Leonard said in an interview last week that Jackson had tried to undermine his program by not being rigorous with teachers. He said that only one of Dunbar's 54 instructors had been given an "ineffective" IMPACT score, which he said he found implausible. He said it was one of the reasons he took over as principal.

      The school climate, always challenging, began to deteriorate with Jackson's absence, Lilly said. Fighting in the cafeteria and hallways increased, and the smell of marijuana wafted through the stairways of the massive 13-story high-rise. More discipline problems went unaddressed. She said she wrote up a girl who aimed her iPhone at a classmate and used the app with a scarily realistic sound of gunshots. Her co-teacher reported a student who threw furniture at other students during testing, but nothing was done, Lilly said.

      "Kids started to notice that no one was being held accountable for anything," she said.

      Lilly called the Monday following Thanksgiving "the Monday that broke me." That weekend, reports of six students arrested Nov. 22 for an alleged rape (charges were later dropped) reached the press. She'd heard nothing from the administration, and came to school with her stomach in knots, expecting students to be acting out due to their confusion, anger and sadness. At a staff meeting, Lilly said she asked Leonard whether it was possible to get some kind of social service program or training to help the teachers assist the students in dealing with the situation. She said that Leonard's only response was that more security would be added.

      "After the meeting I had to go up to my classroom and pretend that nothing happened," she wrote. "For the rest of the day I attempted to teach how to write an equation of a line in slope-intercept form in between student conversations about the attack. The students have a very limited understanding about the nature of sexual assault and they do not have the anger management skills or coping skills to deal with their emotions. For example, students were threatening to beat up the victim because she's 'a whore.' Others were denying that the event ever happened, or they asserted that the victim really wanted it, etc. I have many students who have been raped themselves and there were no supports in place to help them cope or to change students' mindsets or even to stop students from making insensitive comments. It was a total free-for-all."

      Lilly left Dunbar that day and never returned. As torn up as she was about leaving her students, she felt she had no choice if she was going to preserve her sanity. The school's culture, one in which sexual violence was tolerated, was one she said she just couldn't be a part of. She's glad Bedford is gone, and that Jackson has been re-hired by DCPS, which has promised to address Dunbar's many needs. But she said she can' t go back.

      "There have been promises before," she said