TIAA CREF DIVEST actions: Fri. 12/10

  • Todd Eaton
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2010
      Friday December 10 Noon to 1:00 PM
      Divest from Israeli apartheid: Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions
      TIAA CREF 750 3rd Ave, between 46th & 47th:
      #6 train to 51 St. (at Lex); E, M to Lexington Av./Lexington-53rd (at 3rd Av. & 53rd); B, D, F to 47-50 St./Rockefeller Ctr. (at 6th); #4, 5, 7 or S "Shuttle" to Grand Central-42 St.; N, R to 49 St. (at 7th); #1 to 50 St. (at Broadway)
      TIAA CREF DIVEST campaign: www.jvp.org/tiaa-cref
      tiaacrefny@...
         = = = =

      COME OUT TO ASK TIAA CREF: DOES THIS LOOK LIKE "FINANCE FOR THE GREATER GOOD?"
      On December 10th, International Human Rights Day, the TIAA CREF DIVEST Campaign will hold simultaneous Days of Action against Catepillar in over a dozen cities.

      In New York, we need YOU.

      If you are a TIAA CREF participant, we need you for a delegation at noon on December 10th to tell TIAA CREF we want them to divest from Catepillar and all companies that profit from the occupation. Please RSVP to tiaacrefny@... if you'd like to join the delegation.

      If you are not a TIAA CREF participant, we need you outside the TIAA CREF office for Catepillar-themed Chanukah and Christmas caroling and flyering in support of the delegation inside. Please RSVP to tiaacrefny@... if you plan to join.
      Sign the petition, and more info on the TIAA CREF DIVEST campaign: www.jvp.org/tiaa-cref

      Questions? tiaacrefny@...

      DECEMBER 10th NOON to 1 PM
      TIAA CREF Local Office 750 3rd Ave, between 46th and 47th

      Sponsored by: JVP-NY, Adalah-NY, Brooklyn for Peace, Code Pink, Jews Say No!

              =   =   =
      Check NY Activist Calendar frequently: http://nycal.mayfirst.org

    • MSN - Falik
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2010
        Mr. Eaton,

        First of all, I think that you are abusing this list by sending this completely unrelated political message.

        Even worse, whatever the faults of Israel, they pale in comparison to those of its neighbors, but if you want to charge apartheid, then it becomes incumbent on you to provide evidence.  Are you complaining about the wall that Israel has built to separate it from the "Palestinian" state on the West Bank that has vowed to push the Jews into the sea?  While unfortunate, that wall has dramatically reduced the bombings and shootings in Israel.  When the Arab community in the middle east learns to live in a civilized fashion, I am sure that Israel would be happy to remove the wall.

        If you're talking about something else, what is it?  But don't abuse this list.

        Eugene Falik

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2010
          TIAA CREF is a primary investment and retirement plan provider for many or most of well over 100,000 NYC teachers and school staffers.  So while I could well have made a mistake posting about their policies here, I did not intentionally post off-topic.  The usage, "abuse", is just plain childish hyperbole.

          And yes, subscribers are going to have a range of different perspectives about U.S. and financial firms' Middle East policies.  I suspect few find that surprising news.

          So I'm honestly sorry if you were annoyed to read your mail.  But we do all know where our keyboard's DELETE key is, and most of us use it many times reading the morning mail.  Can't help noticing that in this case you at least appear to have enjoyed replying...and at least appear to have enjoyed making an apparent pass to begin some sort of interpersonal debate or flame war together.  We both know nobody cares what either of us think, or whose argumentative wit is bigger and longer.  Such a thread actually *would* border on abusing subscribers -- assuming anyone even read it at all.

          You get the last word.  By the way, first one to shut up usually wins folks' respect, in these things.