UFT & Black

  • Paola de Kock
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2010

      Interesting quote from http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/education/opposition-to-cathie-black-continues-20101130:

      UFT President Michael Mulgrew has been critical of current Chancellor Joel Klein. He said if Black continues with Klein's approach and doesn't include parents in the process of improving education, then the union and Black will be knocking heads.

      There’s absolutely no reason to believe Black is not—as Mulgrew put it—“Klein in a dress, with nice shoes.”  Does it seem credible that the UFT would get belligerent about parents’ rights but lie down before the steamroller when it comes to teachers?  Maybe something was lost in translation.

      Paola de Kock

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2010
        These statements are never followed up by action. Randi did it all the time. It is PR for the members who are angry at the Black appointment and to give cover to what really happened. When there were attempts to get the UFT to make a stand they punted.

        When mayoral control first came up in 2001 Randi and her crew supported it. They never waivered in that support despite throwing out all kinds of confusing signals to the members and the public.
        Over the years I never waivered either in my belief that no matter what they said they would always support mayoral control (just watch how they dance next time).

        Thus when Randi set up a committee that held meetings for a year in every borough and my colleagues would shlep to them I never doubted that in the end the UFT would only ask for tweaks in mayoral control.
        When that UFT committee actually came out with some decent points Randi just ignored it.

        When you support mayoral control you may call for all kinds of things that go along with it but the bottom line is the mayor has the power.
        Mulgrew and crew have been whispering the R word- we are lucky - we could have gotten Rhee. Really pathetic but it actually works with an uninformed membership.
        Our failure as internal UFT critics has been the inability to put together a network to effectively inform the members as to what is really going on. That really was the purpose of Ed Notes when it went to a tabloid 16 page edition 4 times a year for 2 years with 20,000 copies between 2002 and 2004 but it didn't enough of a dent. I didn't have the skill or the patience of George Schmidt in Chicago who has been putting out Substance for 35 years. There is no teacher in Chicago who doesn't know Substance. And it paid off when Debbie Lynch won election in 2001 (Substance was in every teacher mail box numerous times during the campaign) and this year when Karen Lewis won with the CORE caucus. We are very far from that kind of outreach here.

        Read my account of the Delegate Assembly a few weeks ago.

        UFT Delegate Assembly Craps out on Black Waiver

        http://ednotesonline.blogspot.com/2010/11/uft-delegate-assembly-craps-out-on.html

        Norm

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2010
          Mentions tomorrows rally